overseas PGCE University of Sunderland

Closed Thread

overseas PGCE University of Sunderland

http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/courses/.../#tab_overview

Hey

So I am a UK citizen currently working in Hong Kong in an International Kindergarten. I will be finishing my first year of teaching here in the summer and I am considering applying for the above course being offered by the University of Sunderland. I currently hold no formal qualification apart from my English degree and TEFL

Basically the way this works is, after 1 year you will have a PGCE qualification with NO QTS (which is needed to teach in the UK) however you need to be working as a teaching in a foreign country where someone in the school can mentor you and provide feedback to the university. So in a nutshell it is all the theory work without the observation.

Now the reason I am considering this is basically I am not in a position to go back to the UK for a year to complete the PGCE and the unpaid experience prior to starting the course and I am looking for a qualification that would enable me to progress in the school system in HK or somewhere else in Asia. I have been informed by the university that on return to the UK if I decide to move back I can complete a top up course in order to get QTS.

I am looking to get some career security from completing this and also of course enable me to earn extra money. Any thoughts on the validity of this qualification in Asia and is the 6000 pound course fee worth it? Will this qualification enable me to get onto the HK NET scheme?

Any opinions would be appreciated

hi

Hi Fazza,

I'm in a similar situation to you, although I don't teach K.

Basically, from what I've found out, if your longer-term plans are to teach in the UK then you should probably go back home to do this - as you say, you won't get QTS if you don't which means (I think) that if you do the overseas programme and decide to return home at some point you'll have to do some kind of 'bridge' course (with state schools) and you'll go to the bottom of the pay scale, despite any experience you have. This isn't concrete advice, but from doing my own researching this is what I see happening.

If you've found anything different, please share!

From what I understand you are correct, experience can up your pay while you are on the QTS but you cannot use it twice, i.e. you will have to start at the bottom of the teachers' scale.

Quote Originally Posted by fazza_P:
    http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/courses/.../#tab_overview

Hey

So I am a UK citizen currently working in Hong Kong in an International Kindergarten. I will be finishing my first year of teaching here in the summer and I am considering applying for the above course being offered by the University of Sunderland. I currently hold no formal qualification apart from my English degree and TEFL

Basically the way this works is, after 1 year you will have a PGCE qualification with NO QTS (which is needed to teach in the UK) however you need to be working as a teaching in a foreign country where someone in the school can mentor you and provide feedback to the university. So in a nutshell it is all the theory work without the observation.

Now the reason I am considering this is basically I am not in a position to go back to the UK for a year to complete the PGCE and the unpaid experience prior to starting the course and I am looking for a qualification that would enable me to progress in the school system in HK or somewhere else in Asia. I have been informed by the university that on return to the UK if I decide to move back I can complete a top up course in order to get QTS.

I am looking to get some career security from completing this and also of course enable me to earn extra money. Any thoughts on the validity of this qualification in Asia and is the 6000 pound course fee worth it? Will this qualification enable me to get onto the HK NET scheme?

Any opinions would be appreciated
    Hi I am also considering doing the PGCE early years teaching at the universiy of sunderland using the long distance learning method. I just read your thread were you able to get your QTS after you completed this course?