Expat Spouses - Why do you study?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Expat Spouses - Why do you study?

Hi Everyone

I have just joined this forum and am wanting to test the water with an idea I have for some research I am doing... I would really welcome any feedback;

Basically I am interested in looking at what happens when women (from Western countries) follow their husbands overseas for work and then find because they are cut-off from their families/friends/hobbies/own careers that they start to reassess their own lives and options and look at studying as a way of coping with living overseas. I am wondering if women might consider returning to study (or even starting study for the first time) as a way of filling in time and preventing boredom, as a social tool, as a way of feeling independent and having something 'of their own'. Of course I realise many women aren't 'following' their husbands and I simply mean that the move was instigated by the husband's work rather than any other reason. As I said I would love to hear any feedback or if you have any comments on this, I would welcome them.

Thank you
    Bailey

A couple of questions I need to ask to clarify your research question?

1) What parameters are you using? i.e. If they follow their partners to other english speaking countries or non-english speaking countries?

2) Is there a time frame from between not finding work to studying? Does that include studying for degrees, or high dip, or some sort of teaching english/other language courses?

3) With or without family?

You might also want to consider an age break down. My wife isn't considering studying and I don't believe any of her friends are considering it. Most of them are shopping and traveling and meeting new people.

Thanks for the reply This area is just something I have started looking at so am in the very early stages but to answer your questions...

1) I am hoping to examine both: do you consider an english speaking person in an non-english speaking country might benefit more from distance (or whatever) education in as much as it is more isolating being in a non-english speaking country? Would love to hear your thoughts...

2) I would be looking at two different groups here: women who dont have to work for financial reasons and those who do - I hope to encompass all the benefits of study here (not just the fact that it may lead to a better/different job but that it provides a sense of community, purpose, interest etc) and am open to all types of qualifications/study though will probably end up focusing on tertiary study as I am doing this research through a university that would have a particular interest in attracting students to its courses...

3) I would be looking at women who already have families

Thanks again for your post....

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    You might also want to consider an age break down. My wife isn't considering studying and I don't believe any of her friends are considering it. Most of them are shopping and traveling and meeting new people.
    Thanks for your comments....yes you make a very good point and one I will have to consider: I suppose it is difficult to generalise, especially because women are having children later in life now but I was initially thinking of looking at women who have had their children (so may be older) and are wanting to do something for themselves - they might have more of an opportunity because their children might be in school, they have more free time if they have home help etc....but I absolutely see what you are saying and that is something I must definately consider...

Wink

1) If you chose to study and do distance learning, that would reduce the likelihood of mixing and meeting people with others. It would sound that it would be easiest to return home and study, as I have known some people to do.

2) Would you need to consider the trust issue and the support gained from your partner to study?

3) What happens if you can't found work and chose to study as an option, so not too waste time?

4) I supposed I am a little confused - are you looking at hard core studying i.e. a degree in something like law or soft core studying. I think that will also make a lot of difference of whether people will go and study.

5) Would you assume that in most countries, although they speak foreign languages, would primary use english as the taught language? That would have an effect on whether one would study?

6) Costs of education in a foreign country? Whats the liklihood of foreigners being allowed to join the course in the country - or will it be based on your A level results or the equivalent.

7) What would motivate women to consider starting up studing for the first time or again?

Some more questions - hope you dont mind. I find ur topic area interesting.

I came to HK with my husband and am studying towards a degree with the Open University in the UK simply because I don't work or have any children and wanted to keep my brain active. Am studying Social Science and starting Psycology in Oct this year. I did not want to go to full time uni here firstly because i travel a lot and would not be able to commit to the regular classes and also because Hong Kong OU did not have any courses i wanted to do in English. Am also learning German because husband is Swiss and I never really had enough time when I was working full time in the UK. Maybe i will go back to work if we return to Europe / Switzerland and maybe the degree will help, but am doing it more for self interest.
    Any questions - just ask / PM me .... Am 38 if that is of interest....

Last edited by Janetw; 16-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Talking

Are you studying a combined/joint degree? Is it more expensive doing OU from UK? and how do you keep yourself motivated? I tried doing distance before but the motivation was really hard to maintain.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If it's for a formal qualification, people would want to know whether it would be recognised in their home country.

I was part of the way through a PhD when I came to HK a couple of decades ago but circumstances changed and I decided not to complete it. These days I tend to learn for pleasure - for the joy of learning something that interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneHau:
    Are you studying a combined/joint degree? Is it more expensive doing OU from UK? and how do you keep yourself motivated? I tried doing distance before but the motivation was really hard to maintain.
    the cost of getting the books over here is expensive. it will be a joint degree but i love the flexibility of the OU, if i decide half way through i only want to study Social Science I can add more courses to get me to the right number of points. Also if we go back to Swiss/UK before I finish I can just continue wherever I am. I am registered at my family home, not sure how it works if you are outside Europe...... I don't really have motivation issues. just how I am. i timetable out my week and give myself deadlines. there is also a chat forum where you can plan to be online and discuss your material. I have friends here so didn't wawnt to study to improve my social circle however the social sciences by the nature is something I can discuss with people who aren't studying.....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast