Like Tree12Likes

Sunderland PGCE - HK Related Q&A

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

No paid holiday leave.
    No paid sick leave.
    No paid maternity leave
    No employer pension contributions or health insurance
    It takes a very long time to get enough students to earn the equivalent of what you would have earned from day 1 of a normal job.
    There is no progression, no career ladder, nowhere to go.
    If the kids are sick, busy or on holiday you don't get paid.
    Almost all your work is outside school/office hours, which is no good if you have a family.

elle and Beanieskis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    No paid holiday leave.
    No paid sick leave.
    No paid maternity leave
    No employer pension contributions or health insurance
    It takes a very long time to get enough students to earn the equivalent of what you would have earned from day 1 of a normal job.
    There is no progression, no career ladder, nowhere to go.
    If the kids are sick, busy or on holiday you don't get paid.
    Almost all your work is outside school/office hours, which is no good if you have a family.
    A lot of these issues are no big deal if you are a well organized tutor.

No paid sick leave / maternity leave / student cancellations - Sure, tutors monthly income varies due to these issues. However, they have the freedom to balance their own workload. Work more or less according to their needs. What normal desk job gives people that flexibility? If they are a decent tutor they will be earning more than enough to be saving significant amounts every month even with an allowance for downtime / sick days / holidays.

No employer pension / health insurance - The amounts tutors are earning nowadays pays for a lot of health insurance / pensions savings.

Taking a long time to build up student base - I would argue that most tutors teach privately part-time before making the jump to full-time. Therefore the choice of when to switch to full-time is up to the tutors discretion.

No career progression, no career ladder, nowhere to go - Disagree strongly with this one. As I said before tutors have the freedom to manage their own workload. Good tutors are in strong demand, usually with a waiting list of clients. Many successful tutors move on to starting their own centers / companies. Some have earned enough to retire early and / or go on to semi-retirement to manage their savings and investments.

All work outside school / office hours - There is a big enough range of clients available (age range, different professions) for a good tutor to organize their working hours to fall within fairly standard working hours (9am - 7pm). Also, some tutors work from home which allows more time for family than a normal desk job, not less.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Not convinced.

Not convinced how?

Not convinced by the logic or not convinced that this is actually happening?

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Ok let me explain my situation -

I'm employed as an 'unqualified teacher' at a local school. I earn a decent salary and have no plans to leave just yet. However, my principle is urging me to get qualified. This would also enable me to earn more money and would improve my skills.

I've looked at the local PGDE but decided against it because one day I hope to return to the UK and from what I can gather, I wouldn't be able to do the Assessment Only route to QTS with a PGDE (If I'm wrong, please tell me!).

With the overseas PGCE I could do the AO route to QTS once I'm home (confirmed by the uni who also run the course). The only issue is whether or not the HKCAAVQ accept this qualification. I phoned them and they told me that they can only assess it once they receive it and cannot give me any details about whether they've accepted this qualification before. What a joke.

Hence my original question - has anybody done the overseas PGCE and have the HKCAAVQ accepted it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    I phoned them and they told me that they can only assess it once they receive it and cannot give me any details about whether they've accepted this qualification before. What a joke.
    Have you tried getting a Chinese friend to call on your behalf? It might be a "lost in translation" situation. Certainly their response is a bit strange!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

PGCE University of Sunderland registered teacher status

Hi everyone, I will be starting the PGCE International (University of Sunderland) this September. I have my placement sorted and I know that the school I will be doing my teaching practice has teachers who have gone down the same route. However, I heard yesterday that the PGCEi is no longer accepted for teacher registration in Hong Kong. I have a feeling this person may be confusing this programme with the Nottingham one. So is the Uni of Sunderland PGCEi no longer accepted for teacher registration??

I am grateful for any help. Cheers.

Hey there. As far as I know the only teaching certificate that is not recognized by the Hong Kong government is the one from the University of Nottingham, that has the same initials as the Sunderland program (PGCE). Sunderland is widely recognized and accepted both at international and local schools here. Good luck!

I studied my undergrad at Sunderland studying English Language and Linguistics with TESOL. If you happen to meet Meg Timmins you're in for a treat. Really cool tutor and she worked in Hong Kong for a long time teaching English as well so I'm sure she can share her experiences with you.

I'm doing it as well. I'll be teaching Psychology and Spanish. I'll PM you my WhatsApp number.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast