Like Tree34Likes

Boarding school in the Uk

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My son is at UK boarding school. AMA

My parents had a house in the UK. On top of that, I was active in the local community near the house, volunteering for a local charity, going to local events and registering to vote. Appearing on local records for Child benefits when younger could also help.

shri and dossier like this.

Thanks

forgot to add. Getting a part time or holiday job (on a payroll using an NI number) is also an idea.

shri likes this.

So is your son now at university and have you been through the issues of establishing home student status?

You used to also be able to get home student status even when living outside UK for majority of time and since childhood/birth if you can show your parents are overseas temporarily for the purposes of employment (e.g being in the military or colonial service) but will and plan to return permanently once the temporary employment is over. And hence your and their permanent abode is in the UK. Especially helps if there's family property there and the kid/family spends time on leave in the Uk. Don't know if that still works though, but virtually all the ESF schools used to be v good at making such cases for British kids in their schools and getting them home student status.

The determination of status also used to vary by the educational instutition concerned - how each one interpreted the rules and judged the facts. I know of one case where 2 kids from the same family got different interpretations from 2 colleges, although both had the exact same circumstances. One was determined not to be a home student and the one was. Not sure if the authorities have made this more of a rigid tick the box process now, but as I said, there used to be room for interpretation.

On the subject of costs, there are state sector boarding schools which are much cheaper and have good standards. Very hard to get into for obvious reasons.

Last edited by z754103; 13-10-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    shri, smiley1 and dossier like this.

According to the UKCISA, with regards to University admissions in the UK and assessment of the student for "home fees", how does one demonstrate "compliance" with point (d):

UKCISA - England: Higher Education - Fee status in England: Higher Education

"1: Those who are 'settled' in the UK and meet the main residence requirements

In order to qualify for 'home' fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) you must be settled in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(b) you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(c) you must also have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course - eg, if your course begins in October 2013, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2010 to 31 August 2013; and

(d) the main purpose for your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of that three-year period.

Note: It is not necessary to have had settled immigration status in the UK for the full three years. You only need to show that you have it on, at the latest, the first day of the first academic year of the course."

shri and smiley1 like this.

Planning for the future.

What are the best options to take to pay Home Status Fees?

Probably send my son to study University in the UK.

He currently studies in HK. He has a British Passport.

I think the rules have changed that now you need to reside in England for 3 years to qualify for home status.

So you might as well go 4 years before, because who wants to transition in the middle of GCSE ?

Also, if you been living in scotland then you get free university ..no fees (last time I heard) but it can't be that you moved to scotland on purpose to do that.

So may be boarding school in Scotland? then scottish uni ?

ArrynField likes this.