Like Tree34Likes

Boarding school in the Uk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Boarding school in the Uk

Does anyone know of a reputable boarding school in Europe for my son ?
    He needs major learning support and a good level football team.
    Thanks for you help

Contact the British Council I am sure they can put you in contact with reputable agents. There was one called Education UK and there are education fairs of the same name but not connected at which many schools are represented. Worth a visit.

You just missed The 16th Hong Kong International Education Expo

If you are thinking of UK, start with this link : http://www.educationuk.org/hongkong/

Thanks to both of you.
    The thing is that I was hoping to hear from someone who has personal experience or knowledge about schools, who has a child there, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbabette:
    Thanks to both of you.
    The thing is that I was hoping to hear from someone who has personal experience or knowledge about schools, who has a child there, etc.
    You might be out of luck, don't remember any expats on here who send their kids to boarding school back home. You may have more luck on a local's site.

I have quite of bit of experience in this. The easiest way is to use an agent - try Academic Asia - they seem fairly good. They will assess your son, make school suggestions and help with the application process. The UK school pays for this service so you do not pay.

don't remember any expats on here who send their kids to boarding school back home.
    Quite a few expats send their kids to boarding schools, specially to the UK. Some of the interntional schools here loose upto 30-40% of their senior students to boarding schools - some because of family legacies, some because of educational requirements, some going back to home countries to establish residency requirements (for uni)...

Not something commonly discussed here .. but try and connect with parents from your kids's school who might have sent their older kids to boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quite a few expats send their kids to boarding schools, specially to the UK. Some of the interntional schools here loose upto 30-40% of their senior students to boarding schools - some because of family legacies, some because of educational requirements, some going back to home countries to establish residency requirements (for uni)...

Not something commonly discussed here .. but try and connect with parents from your kids's school who might have sent their older kids to boarding.
    If they are sending them back to UK to try and meet the 3 year residency requirements for university fees or indeed anything, they will be very disappointed.

Boarding school is specifically excluded from being classed as giving resident status even if the child is a UK citizen. Residence is taken to be the place where your parents are resident, so if parents are still outside the EU, the child being at boarding school in the EU makes absolutely no difference.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 10-06-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Why only UK and Europe, OP? Sun-less, damp and cool climate ain't so ideal. There are many boarding schools in North America, some of them better than the UK's. So I suggest you give Canada and the US a shot, they also have boarding schools of good repute. The Canadian winter is also useful for character-building (unless they move to Vancouver or Victoria-those Pacific Northwest cities are merely the North American version of the British climate).

Last edited by Watercooler; 10-06-2014 at 11:43 AM.

If they are sending them back to UK to try and meet the 3 year residency requirements for university fees or indeed anything, they will be very disappointed.
    US State tuition for universities ... not just UK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast