Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mbabanker
  • 1 Post By jw1701

HKU/HKUST PT MBA helpful in getting job outside Asia or getting higher salary?

Closed Thread

HKU/HKUST PT MBA helpful in getting job outside Asia or getting higher salary?

Hi everyone
    I am considering applying for HKU/ HKUST part-time MBA. But I have some concerns and would appreciate your advice regarding these aspects.
    Before going on the discussion, I have to clarify one thing. I have no intention in offending or disrespecting either school or getting into argument with graduates from the two schools. I know HKU & HKUST are both very good business schools. I just want to find out if they can offend me what I am looking for.
    Here are my questions.
    Is HKU/HKUST part-time MBA helpful for getting a job in North America or Europe? I had my undergraduate in the states. Even though the economy in Asia is doing well, I still prefer (or I may say dream of) to live and work in the North American/ European. There was posts on different websites years ago saying that HKU & HKUST MBA are too Asia focused and that the two schools are not well known outside Asia.
    If the program does not help get a job outside Asia, does it help get a higher salary job in HK/Asia? I am earning 30K HK$, am looking at 40K+ HK$.
    Again there were many previous posts on different website saying that there was lack of diversity in both programs with Chinese/Asians being the predominate majority in class. Non-Asian was only about 10% or less in the class. I am more comfortable in a more diversified learning environment than one that is predominately Chinese/Asian culture. Some posts even said that HKUST students were very reluctant discussing the course work in English…. What is the true picture of the class diversity? From my perspective Chinese from Macau, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Canada and the US are not exactly the same but I would not call a class with students predominately from these backgrounds a class with diversity.
    How is the teaching style of both programs? Again some posts years ago saying that the teaching/ communication in classes were traditionally one-way rather than two-ways, discussion with or raising question to the lecturer was not welcomed.
    Again I do not mean to offend anybody or any university but I need to be careful in making my decision. 300,000+ HK$ is not a small amount of money. I have concerns after reading those previous posts. But I understand that the posts were years ago. I would appreciate any advice or comment that is updated.
    I have 8 years of working experience in HK with 3 North American big banks/ fund houses. I had my undergrad degree with a University in the states. My expertise is in Data Management. I understand it would be difficult to switch from back office to front line. As long as I can get a better salary or have opportunity to work in North America/ Europe, I would be happy even if I have to stay at back office. I have speaking and writing ability in American English, intermediate Spanish (Castellano), and my native language is Cantonese.Although I don’t speak Mandarin but like most Cantonese I understand the Mandarin to a certain extend. May not be relevant but my social circle in HK is also mainly Hispanic and Europeans, I suppose that would help keeping my English and Spanish. At work, I needed to talk on phone very often with Sydney and London office; I suppose it also help prevent my English from getting too bad.

The part time courses will have a very local student body with many just turning up to pass.

Not many universities from outside North America are known within North America.

Lower cost in HK vs USA

You might get a salary increase in HK post MBA. Diversity is little but teaching standards are good in HKUST.

Are you at point in your career that requires a Master Degree to advance further?

I just completed one in HK and there were lots and lots of PAs, Admins, Helpdesk people etc I just couldn't see how having an MBA would help their current employment...

Cho-man likes this.

If you want a job in Europe or the US, you are far better off studying there than HK, however the fees and various other expenses may be a problem, and I notice you have previously studied in the US anyway. Your English language ability is good although the next thing that US/European employers will look for in your application is whether you have an appropriate work visa for the respective country you intend to work in. Nevertheless, there are always exceptions for exceptional people. In some countries, you may be granted a short term full time work permit as part of some post course training programme, provided its is at least a one year full time course, and if you impress the employer enough, then they may sponsor you for a proper work visa.

I am British and studied an MBA in HK (at CUHK), and lucky enough to have work visas for HK, much of Europe and the US (Green Card). At the moment I am in the US but always on the look out for opportunities, so I am aware of what to think about. My background is front office equity research, equity sales, buy and sell side, much of it for large investment banks which, from the impression I get in your post, is the career that you wish to pursue.

My general experience is that for your aspirations, most employers in the US/Europe will have not even heard of HKU or HKUST, or many other MBA study places abroad (again there are exceptions for the very well know universities). I have personally found that CUHK has a "slight" edge for being recognised abroad because it is considered more "Chinese" (for employers seeking a China background), and it is well known for its exchange student Mandarin study courses with international universities. The main advantage of my MBA was that it did have a lot of excellent Asia business content (as well as Western content), and this has proved to be hugely advantageous in various subsequent equity research assignments. Hence compared to many of your peers, a HK MBA is more likely to help you perform much better in your job, especially if its Asia related, which can then lead to an international placement and/or promotion, rather than initially get you a job abroad.

Your best bet is to play your strengths when looking at prospective job requirements. For example, an ability to converse in Mandarin is far more likely to land you a job in the US/Europe compared to obtaining an MBA from most places if the job requires some communication in that language. You should also consider seeking a job in HK where there may be an opportunity for an internal company transfer abroad (ie large international organisation). There are many other examples that can be cited.

There was a decent international student contingent on my own CUHK course, but I did notice the part time students were mostly locals (understandably). It is not true that there could limited class interaction on a HK MBA course - its quite the opposite in fact, and actively encouraged in many ways. I was always asking questions to challenge the lecturers and still passed with a high grade. The big difference was when asking questions to fellow Asian students while they made class presentations; its a culture thing, not liked at all, taken the wrong way, and if you disagree with something then you learn how to ask questions in a way that does not make the presenter uncomfortable. You have to experience it to believe it. Call it learning to adapt and understand an Asian culture environment vs Western attitudes, which is a very valuable business lesson. Your Asian background probably already gives you that skill set.

I expect some people may disagree with what I have said. This is only my own personal experience and I am sure that others have their own valuable perspectives.

Cho-man likes this.