Looking for an exam proctor

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking for an exam proctor

Hey everybody-
    In order to finish a degree I'm taking some courses from Penn State this fall. I've been having a slight bit of difficulty with locating a proctor who can administer my exams to me. Does anyone out there have any experience with using a proctor here in HK?
    Thanks in advance!

We usually use someone from the British Council - is there an American equivalent? What criteria have they given for a suitable proctor?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    We usually use someone from the British Council - is there an American equivalent? What criteria have they given for a suitable proctor?
    I'n not sure but I'll check into it, thanks for the suggestion. As regards requirements, it seems relatively flexible: A full-time member of the teaching faculty or an educational administrator at any regionally accredited institution of higher education, a full-time, state-certified elementary or high school teacher, or school librarian, any educational administrator who holds a position similar to high school superintendent, supervising principal, principal. Even an individual who is an active member of the clergy.

Although, I would imagine they might frown on a mail order preacher or Moonie proctoring my exam. ;-)

I might be able to do it but it depends on the date time. Is it paid? I only ask that in case I can get someone else for you.

I might be able to do it but it depends on the date time. Is it paid? I only ask that in case I can get someone else for you.
    "Is it paid?"

Perhaps- if absolutely necessary. That said, I just spent damn near the same amount on the shipping of my textbooks (don't ask) as much as the books themselves cost so...I'm going to go ahead here and say "no". Of course, everything is negotiable. Thanks for your info...

G

How 'bout a practicing Rastafarian?

You should ask at one of the local universities. They do this kind of thing all the time!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 10-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    How 'bout a practicing Rastafarian?

You should ask at one of the local universities. They do this kind of thing all the time!
    Yes but they pay the invigilators so would pass the charge on. Never heard of a University doing this for an outsider and they certainly wouldn't do it for free.

The offer is still there if you have dates that fit with me. I can almost certainly get you an appropriate room as well. If I can't do it then I can ask around, but you would have to pay them I am sure as not everyone is as sweet as me

Yes but they pay the invigilators so would pass the charge on. Never heard of a University doing this for an outsider and they certainly wouldn't do it for free.

The offer is still there if you have dates that fit with me. I can almost certainly get you an appropriate room as well. If I can't do it then I can ask around, but you would have to pay them I am sure as not everyone is as sweet as me
    Fair enough, but I was thinking of a professor serving as an invigilator. They could be doing something else at the time. All they'd need to do was be in the same room ensuring no cheating was going on. I proctored a Wisconsin high school exam last year, and I didn't charge for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Fair enough, but I was thinking of a professor serving as an invigilator. They could be doing something else at the time. All they'd need to do was be in the same room ensuring no cheating was going on. I proctored a Wisconsin high school exam last year, and I didn't charge for it.
    Invigilating - the most boring job in the world. From the Guardian (UK) years ago: games for invigilators to play. One was for two invigilators to stand at each end of a row of students and then walk slowly towards each other. The first one to stop or move out of the way loses. In the UK you are not supposed to read or do anything else during invigilation so the boredom is killing in a 3 hour exam.

One was for two invigilators to stand at each end of a row of students and then walk slowly towards each other. The first one to stop or move out of the way loses. in a 3 hour exam.
    lol...that's what Americans call "chicken." You often see it in the movies. People drive their cars straight at each other with the gas jammed down so they're going progressively faster. The first one to move out of the way loses. Hilarious that invigilators do that!

I actually took UK exams in secondary school. You're right, the invigilators in our exams were like hawks and constantly monitoring students.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast