TESOL/TEFL Course usefulness? Provider?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello forum people!

I'm a Chinese-Canadian who has returned to Hong Kong recently to settle down and live with my family. I don't have a University degree, and I'm looking for a job which utilizes my native English skills. While on my job hunt I've learned about TESOL / TEFL courses. Are they useful? Will I be able to find a teaching job with such certification, even without a University degree?

Regards,

Sylvester

This topic has been covered many times. For example:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/71/thread272349.html

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread227389.html

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread184489.html

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/32/thread231537.html

I would suggest you do a bit of research online and then come back with any specific questions that you might have.

Thanks for the redirect to the many fountains of info. I'll dig in once I get home.

My specific question is : Can I get a job with TESOL but without a university degree. If the resources don't cover this, I'm hoping someone c could chime in

In short, yes, you could get a job armed with a TEFL / TESOL certificate even without a university degree. Whether that job would be any 'good' in terms of pay, environment, career progression etc etc is debatable.

It also partially depends on what type of TEFL course you are looking at. There are different ones from purely online ones to more comprehensive ones with assessed classroom modules.

There are other factors at play as well, such as teaching experience and ability, attitude, familiarity with the local curriculum and so on which will also affect your chances.

What are you looking for in terms of a career in teaching?

Last edited by jmbf; 19-11-2014 at 12:03 PM.

I'm looking for a job which will provide me with job experience in Hong Kong. As a career retail manager in Canada, providing training and talent development has been a cornerstone of my professional life. I just figure I would combine my love of developing people with my native English skills (my only asset in Hong Kong) to gain some experience. I may possibly one day look into teaching as a business, rather than a career. Either way, it would still be a great way to meet people in this city and perhaps make connections to, sometime down the road, branch out and do something else. All the while I plan on acquiring a degree through Open University. Either business management or some sort of true teaching accreditation.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You don't speak/write Chinese?

I speak Chinese fluently. I can read, but not to full working proficiency. Can not write.

I would prefer to teach English. I've been tutoring a person on pronunciations and vocabulary. I love teaching someone how to pronounce because I feel that it's my strong suit as a musician, and I don't mind making a fool of myself making odd sounds

You have several options, each with its own pros and cons and barriers to entry. Off the top of my head:

Private Tutoring (Part-time / Full-time)
    Language Centre Work
    Local Schools (both on the EDB scheme and off)
    ESF / International Schools
    Owning / Running a Centre

(any other main options I forgot??)

Some teachers do a mixture of the options above, others move from one to the other with the experienced gained. Realistically with no degree and armed only with a basic TEFL and limited experience, you will be limited* to private tuition and language centre work (at least in the beginning).

If you are interested in pronunciation and phonics, you might benefit from becoming more familiar with courses in that area (e.g. Jolly Phonics, Letterland, Oxford Phonics etc).

*I say limited, but actually I think that establishing yourself as a full-time private tutor is one of the best options you can pick nowadays.

Language centers sounds like a good place to start, as private tutoring requires that I actually have students to tutor. End of the day, I'm looking for employment that will put me out there. Thanks for that suggestion. What is considered a "language center"?

Thanks for throwing the phonics course suggestions my way, by the way. I'm excited to dig into those!

There are hundreds of language centres in HK of all different varieties. I guess any company which has set up a location from which to teach 'language courses' can be considered to be a language centre.

The boundaries are somewhat confused as there are also 'special interest classes' available, some of which are taught in English but specifically don't market themselves as language classes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast