TESOL or TEFL certification courses 2008

Closed Thread

TESOL or TEFL certification courses 2008

I am a certified teacher in the US and will be looking for a position in HK soon. (I'm on a dependent VISA.) It looks as if TEFL and TESOL certification is a big plus for hiring. Does anyone have a certification course they would recommend? I'm leery of some of the online courses. Are they worth the time?

I have taught 8th grade English (literature, writing, grammar, vocabulary) and have recently completed Orton-Gillingham certification (multi-sensory phonics). I would be most interested in a course that teaches good pedagogy for second language learners, not simply a review of grammar and phonics.

A big bonus would be if the course was accredited by an organization the US recognizes so that I might use it to renew my US certification and/or I could use the credits for a master's degree.

Any suggestions? I've searched forum threads, but they seem to be a few years old. Any recent experiences?

Smile New Tesol

There is a new Tesol course running from Oct. 15-19. Check globaltesol to register

My assumption due to a very low response on this board and others is that the quality of online courses is very poor. So...how did you receive your TESOL or TEFL? Preferably in HK with practicum, but I would also consider travel for a week or so.

If you are already a teacher, why not quickly do a TOEFL test? It requires no courses for you to take. just book the test and i would imagine that this would look good on your resume since it's internationally recognized

edit : ive done one some years ago to enter an mba course. It's widely recognized. with high security since they film you during your test so you cannot cheat. and they objectively establish your level of english. at least, that's what they claim.

Last edited by FilipH; 18-09-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)? As in the exam which evaluates the English proficiency of applicants, to universities in English speaking countries, whose first language is not English?

The OP is originally from the US so presumably doesn't need to prove her English proficiency.

Atltohk: English In Asia has a Trinity CertTESOL course starting early October. It's a four-week course, with attendence in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)? As in the exam which evaluates the English proficiency of applicants, to universities in English speaking countries, whose first language is not English?

The OP is originally from the US so presumably doesn't need to prove her English proficiency.
    eum. maybe you got a point there I thought it might help him, but the test is probably to easy for a national of the US

Thanks! I DO think a TOEFL should be required. Just because English is one's primary language, does not mean they are proficient. The lack of basic English grammar knowledge, even among college graduates in the US, astounds me.

I've made an inquiry to English for Asia, but no response after a week. Didn't make a great impression, but maybe it's just the front office staff, not the instructors who are the problem.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Perhaps an IELTS is a preferable exam for you if you want proof of your standard of English, rather than testing your ability in English as a 'foreign language'.

IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is an internationally-recognised system for testing English language skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 18-09-2008 at 05:53 PM.