Like Tree67Likes

CDNIS - A death by a thousand cuts?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Am I the only one thinking that Dumbdonkey is personally linked to all this?

Overall tho...as he said...as long as parents pay...and waiting list are there....

It is a total shame tho (the education system --- and my wife work in it).....Education shouldnt be a privilege, education (quality one) is a right in my view....and in HK sadly it is a priviledge.

Mat - if that were the case, then it would be nice to figure out why the school is hiring "under" qualified teachers.

Going to be interesting to see what their staffing changes are like at the start of the new term.

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    most people do not love their jobs. we work for the money. teachers are no different. the teachers aint going anywhere, except for the "under" qualified ones.
    If I had to get up to go to work just for the money then I wouldn't go.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Going to be interesting to see what their staffing changes are like at the start of the new term.
    My understanding is that there wont be any/many changes at the start of new term.

I've been told that all contracts are signed and ended at/around Dec/Jan timeframe - that is when the next set of decisions will be made and if there is to be any exodus, it will happen at the end of the 2015/2016 school year. Net-Net : the school has until the end of 2015 to get its act together in order to keep the current batch of teachers, otherwise, many will be departing in June 2016.
    shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Why can't they leave earlier? 2-3 months notice would be possible if give now? Or does seasonal hiring make it impossible to get jobs this close to the next academic year?

Again, this is from friends and 3rd hand information, so take it FWIW
    1) If you dont stay till the end, you miss out on your end of contract gratuity
    2) No one hires at the end of the year. If you quit now, you wont start a job for a year. Interviews and new contracts are all signed at Dec/Jan timeframe and work starts next september.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    1) If you dont stay till the end, you miss out on your end of contract gratuity
    so its about the money?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    most people do not love their jobs. we work for the money. teachers are no different. the teachers aint going anywhere, except for the "under" qualified ones.
    I am sure that this only applies to really shit teachers.

All of the good teachers I have known in my home country have been passionate about teaching. And the teachers I know in HK really enjoy their work- maybe not every single thing about their work, but overall they chose their profession because they enjoy it, not simply for a paycheck.
    Last edited by jgl; 14-05-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I am sure that this only applies to really shit teachers.

All of the good teachers I have known in my home country have been passionate about teaching. And the teachers I know in HK really enjoy their work- maybe not every single thing about their work, but overall they chose their profession because they enjoy it, not simply for a paycheck.
    i love what do but that doesnt always mean i love my job.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Yes, I would agree with that.

My wife has taught at primary, secondary and now university level (which is very different) but in all 3 cases, most of her peers loved teaching....can't say the same of the people I see around me in banking for example.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast