Like Tree42Likes

Hong Kong's 2015 IB Results

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In a way, these kinds of scores should just be something private between one's own family.
    And universities and scholarship committees and internship applications and ...

I know what you mean, but over time, I've figured out that there are only so many things I can do. Growing food is not one of them... but funny you should mention that, as I am about to try and invest a few dollars into this https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/...ead322889.html (Philips Grow Wise thing...) I think it could be revolutionary if it all the empty apartments / warehouses / industrial spaces could be turned into (ahem!) basil factories.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And universities and scholarship committees and internship applications and ...
    but no need to publish them in newspapers & message boards for the general public to see.

this city is hyper competitive towards kids as it is, no need to throw more gas on the fire

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    but no need to publish them in newspapers & message boards for the general public to see.

this city is hyper competitive towards kids as it is, no need to throw more gas on the fire
    This is not a HK thing tho.

in France at the A level every year the top students get into the various local newspaper (and I bet it is the same pretty much everywhere).

I am not quite sure what the fuss this is all about.

As for growing your own food. You think the kids in NYC or Paris or London or Tokyo know?? this is living in a big city that's it.

I grew up in several medium size city...got exposed to that (ie growing food and all) but when I reach Biz School..Paris and all that most of my classmate had not idea ....
    jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Just think of the childhoods sacrificed for a nice score on a test ...
    Now you know why there are so many rude, socially-challenged and even mentally unbalanced people in HK.

All this hyper-competitiveness has a cost on the well-being on the development of the person.
    Peter Mak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Honestly though, I've met some of these kids who do really well .. and they're just honest to god well adjusted kids.

Just because you've done well in exams does not mean that something is wrong with your childhood.
    And conversely, just because you've done well on exams does not mean you are well adjusted. Dealing with life takes more than a score on your paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    And conversely, just because you've done well on exams does not mean you are well adjusted. Dealing with life takes more than a score on your paper.
    But increasingly that's what future employers are looking at. To many that trumps other life experiences however much we may disagree with it.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Those IB scores are required for entrance into university. The better the university, the higher the score required to get in. So they are quite important actually.
    What Uni you go to has a major impact on the rest of your life.

jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    But increasingly that's what future employers are looking at. To many that trumps other life experiences however much we may disagree with it.
    For an Asian student to get into an Ivy league or Oxbridge Uni you need to be way more than just book smart. It is the filtering and screening these institutions do that is probably the single biggest factor to their success.
    Open Casket and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    test scores, really? You've had an employer ask about test scores? I never have.

communication skills FAR more important than test scores
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    test scores, really? You've had an employer ask about test scores? I never have.

communication skills FAR more important than test scores
    Where's the face palm? Exam scores (not test scores) determine university which determines jobs now. Degrees trump experience. Just the way it is.

Not in my company. But pretty common out there now. Why does a secretary need a f**king degree?

Now common sense is not a flower that is able to be planted in every garden.
    Mat, Skyhook and rani like this.