Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cho-man

Graduate student life in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Graduate student life in Hong Kong

Hello, I am currrently in outside of Hong Kong, and got admission from Hong Kong university as a graduate student in Engineering.
    As applying to a university in Hong Kong is not that common case in my country, I want to ask about graduate student life in Hong Kong.
    Students usually have to work late in their lab? and they have to work on weekend?
    I just heard working on saturday is common in Hong Kong, and got shock.

Quote Originally Posted by krap:
    Hello, I am currrently in outside of Hong Kong, and got admission from Hong Kong university as a graduate student in Engineering.
    As applying to a university in Hong Kong is not that common case in my country, I want to ask about graduate student life in Hong Kong.
    Students usually have to work late in their lab? and they have to work on weekend?
    I just heard working on saturday is common in Hong Kong, and got shock.
    Working late into the night in the lab or on weekends is known to occur for different PhD or Master programmes around the world, its not an exclusively Hong Kong thing. As for whether you will have to do that, it really depends on the particular engineering programme you applied to. Some graduate programmes are known to be fairly laid-back with plenty of spare time for you. Other programmes are much more demanding in terms of time and therefore requires you to have a great deal of discipline in time management.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 20-07-2015 at 11:16 PM.
    krap likes this.

Thank you a lot

Might be useful if you said where you're coming from.

I think a lot of it is down to your adviser and what the relationship is with them. Might be worth it to read the graduate student handbook and have a look at things like leave. There can be a lot of bureaucracy, which you get with anywhere, but sometimes the systems or what not is a bit dated.