Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By flameproof

Chinese International School- Interview

Closed Thread

Chinese International School- Interview

Mums and Dads,

Our daughter has been invited to attend an interview at Chinese International School for Reception class.
    We do not have a debenture, she does not have any siblings attending CIS, or other priority.
    Can anyone provide guidance on our chances?
    Would they compare our kid with the other kids that do not have priority, or do they compare all the kids they invited back?
    Do they interview everyone before making decisions? Do they admit students on a rolling basis?
    And can anyone share what happens at the parent interview?

Thanks a lot

I have found the whole educational interview a lottery. Some schools have rejected our kids while better, in our view, schools have accepted. I think there are many factors influencing a schools decision some objective and some subjective so it makes it a tough call. I think for a parent it is just best to get as many options as possible. Not very helpful to you, I know.
    In our experience of CIS we thought our son stood a good chance based on merit - he is tri-lingual, interactive, amiable but did not get past the interview stage - no idea why. We had no debenture and knew no one who could vouch for us. So I guess schools have a myriad of factors affecting their decision including merit, debenture, personal recommendation etc which make it impossible to predict.
    The only parental interview we attended it was to gauge our willingness to support our son due to the rigours of HK academic life, by this I mean supervising homework, organising tutors, and exam prep (this was for a local school).

Last edited by smiley1; 09-12-2015 at 11:45 AM.

When my kids had interview for reception at Australian school, the teacher just watches them play around for a bit and says "Yeah no worries you are in". Also its the kids that get interviewed, not the parents. The parents get sent downstairs to the cafeteria and have a latte for 30 minutes during the whole gruelling ordeal. As far as priority goes, just flash your Australian passport and they say "Yeah no worries, she'll be right".

But before that I had horrible experiences getting my kids into local international kindergartens. Places like Victoria, Habitat, etc are a bunch of idiots and have these stupid tests they give to 2 year olds. My 2 year old had to sit in a chair by herself quietly and not get up, the interviewer held up cards like a picture of an apple and said "whats this". Then got one of those abacus things and asked her to count with it. Then gave her a book and pointed at the pictures in the book and asking what is this and that. My kid was shy and didn't do anything so failed. But anyway we managed to find another english kindergarten that were not a bunch of idiots and we were fine going there until she was the right age for Australian school.

Best approach is, make a portfolio folder, with all medals etc. your kid got so far. Write how many musical instruments your 3 year old can play already. Mention also achievements that are a bit out of the typical HK skill range, like holding a pilot license etc.

Welcome to Hong Kong!

hongkong7, rani and Zero Gravitas like this.

Hi HKParent1010,

I'm just wondering how your interview went? I have just applied for my daughter, and I'm praying she will be offered an interview--though, like you, we have no CNR, no connections, no priority status, etc.

If you could let us know what happened, that would be great!

Cheers!