Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By shri

Tutoring / Babysitting

Closed Thread

Post Tutoring / Babysitting

Hello ! Name's Katelyn , and Im 18 years old .
    I've been working in a restaurant for awhile now , but i decided to quit cause it was too stressful & since I have school .. i couldn't pay much attention during class because i'd be too tired to listen what my teachers are teaching.

So , i was wondering about tutoring kids or babysitting , but that’ll be hard and less chance . Anyway i don’t know if there’s any tutoring part time jobs available for a non graduate..

Well i do have 1 year of tutoring experience , since i've taught both of my younger cousins english.

If you design a nice flyer and hand them out while also putting up some online ads you should be able to pick up some casual tutoring work for around $300 / hr. Have a look at some of the tutoring ads up on this site to give yourself an idea of how to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    If you design a nice flyer and hand them out while also putting up some online ads you should be able to pick up some casual tutoring work for around $300 / hr. Have a look at some of the tutoring ads up on this site to give yourself an idea of how to go about it.
    $300 / hour??!?

We can hire 3rd / 4th year students from HKU for $100-150 an hour.
    HowardCoombs, jrkob and Next like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    $300 / hour??!?

Ok point taken. With anything as diverse as tutoring you will find a wide range of prices charged. I don't doubt the prices you just quoted. On the other hand I know there are native English speaking uni students charging between $200 - $350 in my area (depending on lesson focus).

So the range is wide open and dependent on a number of factors. What the OP can ultimately charge comes down to how good she is and how well she develops her reputation.

Perhaps we can settle on a ranged scale going from $150 at the absolute bottom to over $300 if she does well.

And thanks for the follow up which tempers down expectations a little bit.

See far too many kids out there who think they can make bucket loads of money by just being white and showing up. Problem with this is that the easy money is a lot like Crack cocaine. A few highs and then nothing for long periods of time other than cravings.

jmbf, imparanoic and chingleutsch like this.

And thanks for the follow up which tempers down expectations a little bit.

See far too many kids out there who think they can make bucket loads of money by just being white and showing up.
    That's also very true and reflected just now over in the other thread about tutoring on the side. It's a shame that so many confuse what is possible in an optimum situation vs what is realistic for their own situation. It's good to have goals and targets to strive towards (e.g. I want to get to $500 / hr) and that's why I often highlight what can be earned. But one shouldn't expect that from the get-go unless they have the appropriate quals and experience to match.

We are all know about the low level of salary in Hong Kong compared with Westrern developed countries.

If the kids' parents are well off and don't mind, they can pay $500 an hour. It is all about they like you very much or not. You can goto some Mainland Chinese cities, there are rich families hiring western girls for babysitting and tutoring, much higher income than the same job in HK.

$300 / hour??!?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_heungong:
    You can goto some Mainland Chinese cities, there are rich families hiring western girls for babysitting and tutoring, much higher income than the same job in HK.
    Do you have any details to back that up? This recent nanny / tutoring position in HK..

https://jobs.geoexpat.com/job/2629?s...62.1504&page=1

....is for 4 hours work a day Mon-Fri for 18 - 26K / Month. I haven't heard of any comparable positions in China (let alone those offering a' much higher income')

Quote Originally Posted by imkatelyn:
    Hello ! Name's Katelyn , and Im 18 years old .
    I've been working in a restaurant for awhile now , but i decided to quit cause it was too stressful & since I have school .. i couldn't pay much attention during class because i'd be too tired to listen what my teachers are teaching.

So , i was wondering about tutoring kids or babysitting , but that’ll be hard and less chance . Anyway i don’t know if there’s any tutoring part time jobs available for a non graduate..

Well i do have 1 year of tutoring experience , since i've taught both of my younger cousins english.
    Consider following and posting something here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/HongKongTeenPT/