HK government NET Scheme

Closed Thread

Lightbulb HK government NET Scheme

I've been teaching English at Language centers for almost 4 years. I enjoy working with kids, but I'm ready to step up my career and work in a primary school or international school.

I'm applying in the government's NET scheme to hire native English teachers. I have a BA from the University of Nebraska in Public Administration and a 170 hour TEFL certification. I also have a year of social work experience.

Will I be considered for a position with these credentials? If not, what else do I need to make myself stand out from the crowd? I have only a valid work permit in HK. Sponsored by my current language center.

Thanks in advance.

Applying for the NET scheme means nothing. You need to check the papers and apply to the schools directly. Each school gets an allowance something like one teacher can get the NET benefit which adds the housing allowance. I found that many newbies were able to find a job with the school but they were not allocated the housing allowance. So the base salary goes on the scale based on your qualifications. A teaching qualification is helpful and almost required.

Applying to the EDB puts you into a pool that schools can dip into, if the EDB accepts you. Secondary schools will be looking for full time past experience in secondary schools. That does not include education centres or teaching night classes. Primary schools may be possible but there are so many applicants IMHO your qualifications and experience will not put you at the top of the list.

Thanks a lot for your responses.

I've heard that the PGCE won't get you qualified teacher status in Hong Kong. And that you need PGDE instead to count for anything. Is this true?

I'm actually out of the "Ed Biz" scene now, but my understanding is that holding a PGDE/ PGCE allows you to work as a teacher for a year (or 2, depending on the jurisdiction) under a degree of supervision. Upon successful completion, you will have QTS (qualified teacher status).