Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By aspiringteacher

Does being a full time tutor or a secondary school teacher pay rent?

Closed Thread

Does being a full time tutor or a secondary school teacher pay rent?

I was born in Hong Kong, moved out and am back now. Skip the next two-three paragraphs to get to the main part

I'm currently living with my family until the housing allowance of my mother expires when she retire. We're expats if that wasn't obvious. Upon retirement, my mother currently plans to go back to our country as the rent here in Hong Kong is too expensive unless of course my (younger) siblings and I are come up with a way to afford all of us living here in Hong Kong.

My siblings and I were born in and studied in Hong Kong until I was early secondary school because my parents ran into some financial troubles because my father f***ed up and then could not afford the tuition in Hong Kong at the time. So my siblings and I lived with our father and some relatives in our (technically our parents') country of origin, which is a third world country, though my mother was and still is thankfully working in Hong Kong (She and my father eventually divorced. He's working in our country). I obtained two bachelor's degrees and a master's degree from our country. The master's and one of the bachelor's is something science-related while the other bachelor's is business/finance-related. About a few months before I graduated from my master's degree, my siblings were able to move back to Hong Kong to study not so much because my mother slightly improved on our financial condition (no thanks to my lazy arrogant f***ing father), which she did but more thanks to cheaper English schools in Hong Kong popping up .

After almost two years of loan repayments, I followed my mother and my siblings to Hong Kong and am now working part time in an learning centre while applying for postgraduate degrees in Hong Kong and internationally (just not in my country). My goal is to become a university professor ideally in a university in Hong Kong but I would be glad for any university in a first world country. [See footnote below] If I don't get accepted into one, I do have a fall back [See footnote below]:

I want to become part of the managing team in a learning centre or be a secondary school teacher. [See footnote below]

Currently, I'm working only part time because work is so hard to come by. Most schools don't have many openings. Most centres are looking for people familiar with IB or A Levels (click to see my other thread).

My salary is only around $3,000 per month. My boss says I can expect full time work next year when we have more students. I'm sort of offered a full time job in another centre (see the other thread. There are some problems in the centre and so the offer is put aside for now).

1. Even if I got full time, it seems like the starting salary for full time work in the education industry is around $10,000-$18,000 per month. How much can I expect to earn after 2-3 years of experience? After 5-6 years? Can this afford the cost of living in Hong Kong? My mother says the rent in the flats in the building which we live is around $15,000 per month (My mother pays about $3,000 per month while the remaining $12,000 is covered by her company).

My mother is retiring in 5-6 years. I don't quite know what I'm going to do after that if I don't get accepted into a program (with funding of course) supposing I remain single and without a job that has housing allowance aside from going back to our country, and I don't want to

She said that the ways to afford living in Hong Kong are:

• Marry
    • Find a job that has housing allowance
    • Live in public housing
    • Get a roommate
    • Get a roommate while living in public housing.

It seems that there are plenty of alternatives, and I shouldn't be stressing out over something that's 5-6 years from now and thus should get back to my graduate program applications (something far more urgent), but I just wanna know for my peace of mind. Even if I get into a graduate program, I'll probably encounter the same problems.

2. Is there private housing that's less than $10,000?

3. Actually, is rent the only difficulty here?
    It seems like the only expensive parts about living in Hong Kong are rent and children's education. Thanks to schools like the ones my siblings are in, I guess that's not really an issue.

Additional questions which are sort of related to the main questions.

1. What can you tell me about finding a roommate in Hong Kong? Is it hard?
    2. What can you tell me about public housing? How can I apply for that? How much is public housing?
    3. Should I as early as now start dating in order to find someone to split the rent? It sounds unromantic to look for someone to marry for money, but this is the reality of Hong Kong right?
    4. Also, what about retirement? What can MPF do for me? I still don't understand that, but my boss says something like the centre pays this for me every month. I overheard my boss telling another teacher something like it's paid by the company because I am below a certain salary. What's going to happen once I'm full time? I have to pay to MPF every month? What about taxes?

---------

Footnotes:

Footnote: I don't really want to work in my alma mater or live in my country of origin, but I suppose technically that's an option. Sure there wouldn't be much problems apart from the low standard of living, but why dream so little right? And another thing, even though the cost of living is low, about the opportunity cost? I am very lucky to be a Hong Kong resident so I'm going to make the most out of it.

Footnote: I'm not sure if I'm good enough for Hong Kong so instead of working on my statement of purpose, studying for graduate school related exams or researching on university faculty, my anxiety has led me here.

Footnote: Aside from education, another industry I can go to is business/finance, but I'm not really interested in this.
    tagore likes this.

My strong advice to you. Go away...cut that shit down to one or two paragraphs.

Reading that lot is like watching Pulp Fiction with all the random subplots and non-linear timeline except the story isn't interesting...

I'm not trying to be mean...snip snip

In a way I agree with DH, there's too much stuff going on in your post to answer all your questions coherently in a concise and easy manner.

If I focus on just the tutoring aspect, then yes tutoring certainly can pay your bills but there are plenty of caveats to that. I think you need to focus more on where you want to be and how you are going to get there. Securing a reasonably stable income would be priority one and surely the first step. Why have you had difficulty getting language centre work?

Last edited by jmbf; 09-11-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aspiringteacher:
    I was born in Hong Kong, moved out and am back now. Skip the next two-three paragraphs to get to the main part

I'm currently living with my family until the housing allowance of my mother expires when she retire. We're expats if that wasn't obvious. Upon retirement, my mother currently plans to go back to our country as the rent here in Hong Kong is too expensive unless of course my (younger) siblings and I are come up with a way to afford all of us living here in Hong Kong.

My siblings and I were born in and studied in Hong Kong until I was early secondary school because my parents ran into some financial troubles because my father f***ed up and then could not afford the tuition in Hong Kong at the time. So my siblings and I lived with our father and some relatives in our (technically our parents') country of origin, which is a third world country, though my mother was and still is thankfully working in Hong Kong (She and my father eventually divorced. He's working in our country). I obtained two bachelor's degrees and a master's degree from our country. The master's and one of the bachelor's is something science-related while the other bachelor's is business/finance-related. About a few months before I graduated from my master's degree, my siblings were able to move back to Hong Kong to study not so much because my mother slightly improved on our financial condition (no thanks to my lazy arrogant f***ing father), which she did but more thanks to cheaper English schools in Hong Kong popping up .

After almost two years of loan repayments, I followed my mother and my siblings to Hong Kong and am now working part time in an learning centre while applying for postgraduate degrees in Hong Kong and internationally (just not in my country). My goal is to become a university professor ideally in a university in Hong Kong but I would be glad for any university in a first world country. [See footnote below] If I don't get accepted into one, I do have a fall back [See footnote below]:

I want to become part of the managing team in a learning centre or be a secondary school teacher. [See footnote below]

Currently, I'm working only part time because work is so hard to come by. Most schools don't have many openings. Most centres are looking for people familiar with IB or A Levels (click to see my other thread).

My salary is only around $3,000 per month. My boss says I can expect full time work next year when we have more students. I'm sort of offered a full time job in another centre (see the other thread. There are some problems in the centre and so the offer is put aside for now).

1. Even if I got full time, it seems like the starting salary for full time work in the education industry is around $10,000-$18,000 per month. How much can I expect to earn after 2-3 years of experience? After 5-6 years? Can this afford the cost of living in Hong Kong? My mother says the rent in the flats in the building which we live is around $15,000 per month (My mother pays about $3,000 per month while the remaining $12,000 is covered by her company).

My mother is retiring in 5-6 years. I don't quite know what I'm going to do after that if I don't get accepted into a program (with funding of course) supposing I remain single and without a job that has housing allowance aside from going back to our country, and I don't want to

She said that the ways to afford living in Hong Kong are:

• Marry
    • Find a job that has housing allowance
    • Live in public housing
    • Get a roommate
    • Get a roommate while living in public housing.

It seems that there are plenty of alternatives, and I shouldn't be stressing out over something that's 5-6 years from now and thus should get back to my graduate program applications (something far more urgent), but I just wanna know for my peace of mind. Even if I get into a graduate program, I'll probably encounter the same problems.

2. Is there private housing that's less than $10,000?

3. Actually, is rent the only difficulty here?
    It seems like the only expensive parts about living in Hong Kong are rent and children's education. Thanks to schools like the ones my siblings are in, I guess that's not really an issue.

Additional questions which are sort of related to the main questions.

1. What can you tell me about finding a roommate in Hong Kong? Is it hard?
    2. What can you tell me about public housing? How can I apply for that? How much is public housing?
    3. Should I as early as now start dating in order to find someone to split the rent? It sounds unromantic to look for someone to marry for money, but this is the reality of Hong Kong right?
    4. Also, what about retirement? What can MPF do for me? I still don't understand that, but my boss says something like the centre pays this for me every month. I overheard my boss telling another teacher something like it's paid by the company because I am below a certain salary. What's going to happen once I'm full time? I have to pay to MPF every month? What about taxes?

---------

Footnotes:

Footnote: I don't really want to work in my alma mater or live in my country of origin, but I suppose technically that's an option. Sure there wouldn't be much problems apart from the low standard of living, but why dream so little right? And another thing, even though the cost of living is low, about the opportunity cost? I am very lucky to be a Hong Kong resident so I'm going to make the most out of it.

Footnote: I'm not sure if I'm good enough for Hong Kong so instead of working on my statement of purpose, studying for graduate school related exams or researching on university faculty, my anxiety has led me here.

Footnote: Aside from education, another industry I can go to is business/finance, but I'm not really interested in this.
    2) There are lot of private housing below 10k. It depends on the area. Search 28hse website or app and go thro it to get an idea on the prevailing rents. A full time jib can surely provide you the money for a home food and some savings..

Public housing is for permanent residents but allocated based on priority. Preference given to elderly family, or couples with babies and low income families. Currently the waiting list is huge and you can just forget about it.

I'd say to let your mom retire to somewhere nicer if possible.

I wouldn't live here unless I had a job or really good passive income (she doesn't).

That's my vote anyways.

With such a love for the teaching profession, why on earth didn't you focus one of your degrees on education?

Over-educated but clueless!

Claire ex-ax likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

First, I believe to teach in a Hong Kong secondary school, you need a BEd or a PGDE, using your BSc for the subject if aiming for secondary school teaching. Second, to teach at a Hong Kong university, you'll be looking at a PhD.

I don't know about the BEd, but many institutions certainly have part-time courses for the PGDE, although I think admissions tend to favour those already in teaching positions. And employers will still be looking at experience at the right level along with the PDGE.

How much do you want to teach?

Fiona in HKG likes this.