Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By drumbrake
  • 6 Post By big_panda

Is associate degree the right option

Closed Thread

Unhappy Is associate degree the right option

Hey guys, i know that i cannot make it to university, so what do i do, i think i will have to waste so many years now , but my friend told me about associate degree, he said that i could promote to 2nd year university directtly if i work hard and get excellent results, or should i go for higher diploma, or VTC, i really dont wanna waste any year,
    Ive been too lazy in school, use to daydream everyday during lessons, because i was never happy with my life now its about my future its all a mess, please if anyone can give me suggestions on this ,

You shouldnt do a degree for the sake of doing a degree. It will be a waste of your time and money, and you might end up no better off. Ive come across many candidates/employees with degrees from reputable local universities no wiser or smarter than those who have forgone tertiary education. Rather you need to decide what job would interest you and go from there. I'd recommend joining a physical trade if you have no interest in studying.

shri, chingleutsch, jimbo and 3 others like this.

Remember that the % that who are able to transfer from Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes to a full degree is very small. So, it is not only a case of working hard and getting excellent results, but also having a little bit of luck.

shri and Iwanthappylife like this.

Guys i agree with you, and i have come a a decision that i wanna keep studying because i know i have the ability to do it , if i had started studying like 4months earlier before DSE, i could enter university, the thing is now i am too late, now my question is what will be the fastest way to make it back to university when i promise to perform to my full best. Thanks for all your opinions, really means alot to me

Easy to say you want to study but likely your reasons for doing so are not prime for you to succeed. From what I read it sounds like you just finished secondary and want to proceed to university but most recently you never paid attention in school. That also means university will be much more work for you and that takes time and dedication. You cannot just say I want to do it then go into endless circles of debt trying to get only a goal of making more money which is what I think your motivation is.

Best bet is to work full time to get some experience to the real world and evaluate what's important to you. Then try to get into higher education if it fits your path. But to "try" by getting yourself further into debt isn't the best solution. Many people have studied at university with huge debt only to work a job that doesn't require a degree. But through time and effort they have eventually worked their way up to a respectable salary.

Figure out yourself and your interests first. Then use higher education or work/train in that field to expand your skills. You can get paid to learn/train too.

Do the Associates as a start! The time will go by very quickly and it's a smaller goal to reach for before you continue your education (hopefully)!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanthappylife:
    i really dont wanna waste any year,

Ive been too lazy in school, use to daydream everyday during lessons,

really don't want to waste anytime, yet you've been lazy. right....

my suggestion to you is, find a job. and go take some associate degree courses. pick some different subject ones to feel out different fields.. and whichever one that interests you enough to drive you to want to learn everything about it.. go for for that degree and try to transfer to university then.

if nothing interests you, then best of luck in life.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Remember that the % that who are able to transfer from Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes to a full degree is very small. So, it is not only a case of working hard and getting excellent results, but also having a little bit of luck.
    There are only 5,000 places for some 27,000 associate-degree holders.