Like Tree12Likes

Singapore International School: pros and cons?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A friend had to transfer her kids there from another international school. The kids are Eurasian, with a Singapore mum. They passed the interview but the school was appalled with their level of Mandarin. The mum got a call from school advising her to get a tutor over the summer break so they could catch up.

Another Singaporean friend, her son sat the entrance exam when he was 4 or 5. It was a written Maths, English, Mandarin exam. He just sat there for 3 hours. He couldn't read so wasn't much he could do. He was still accepted but they decided the school wasn't a good fit.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    We sell Singapore Math books on ShopinHK. They sell well.

https://www.shopinhk.com/search.php?...hs&mode=search
    A lot of local schools use the Singapore Maths books apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    A friend had to transfer her kids there from another international school. The kids are Eurasian, with a Singapore mum. They passed the interview but the school was appalled with their level of Mandarin. The mum got a call from school advising her to get a tutor over the summer break so they could catch up.

Another Singaporean friend, her son sat the entrance exam when he was 4 or 5. It was a written Maths, English, Mandarin exam. He just sat there for 3 hours. He couldn't read so wasn't much he could do. He was still accepted but they decided the school wasn't a good fit.
    Yes exactly. A non-Singaporean child would certainly not have been accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I saw a tuition center in Hang Hau which has ad for Singapore Maths. WTF is Singapore maths, is it special maths, do they teach you 1+1 = something different LOL.

Of course lah!

1 durian + 1 durian = 2 durian. Can la!
    jmbf, rani, Mrs. Jones and 3 others like this.

Hi Mrs. Jones, thanks so much for your sharing! It is really helpful for us. Do you mind let me know why you regret following this path? I thought getting into a top tier school, although with grueling hours and cruel competition, would give the child a solid foundation which would be beneficial for his/her future? Why do you feel it is a "trap" now?

giogio likes this.

As far as I know Singapore Math is a more visual way of learning math. Students also learn each math concept more thoroughly before moving on to the next one. It is also used by many schools in the US these days.

tagore

There is one school in Singapore, De La Salle Primary where the Teachers invent one visual question every month. I have been following on and off. If you go to the popular bookstore in Singapore, (Haven't seen it in Hong Kong though, I will confirm later), there is one book by the title "Stacking Method" by Mathsplus Publishing. I read it, there is a discernible pattern to the questions they ask. DO NOT PANIC.

tagore

No no. 1 durian + 1 durian = 2 durians. Lolx la!