Like Tree12Likes

Singapore International School: pros and cons?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Singapore International School: pros and cons?

Hi, we are relocating to HK soon and considering Singapore International School. Just would like to know what are the pros and cons of going to that school? Their kindergarten starts enroll kids from 4 years old, is that too late given most kids start going to kindergarten at age of 2+? Is it necessary to enroll kid into some other kinder garden before the age of 4? Thanks in advance!

Rigorous academics, strong Putonghua curriculum however taught in simplified characters and lots of tiger moms about. Unless you hold Singaporean passport very difficult to get into so make sure you have back up plan b,c,d & e.

Good luck!

the school will ask your kid to leave if the kid cannot keep up with the grade.

SIS focuses mainly on academics starting from a very young age. If that's what you want for your children, that would be a good choice. They don't do much in terms of sports, music and activities, compared to other international schools in HK.

Good luck!

shri likes this.

Red face Thank you all wonderful ladies!

Really appreciate your sharing!

And what about enrolling into other kindergartens before entering SIS (at age of 4)? Is it necessary? Any good kindergarden to recommend? Or it does not matter which to go to at this very young age (2-4 yr)?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteC:
    Really appreciate your sharing!

And what about enrolling into other kindergartens before entering SIS (at age of 4)? Is it necessary? Any good kindergarden to recommend? Or it does not matter which to go to at this very young age (2-4 yr)?
    Definitely enroll her into a good bilingual pre-nursery at the age of 2. Expect her to be able to read and write (both English and Putonghua) and do some basics maths for the SIS reception interview and be very verbal and independent. There are more 'academically' orientated kindergartens for example Right Mind and PIPS (Kowloon). Do bear in mind though that even then the chances of your child being accepted (as a non-Singaporean) are very very low. There are courses to train your 2/3yr old for these school interviews, so if this is what you want for your child you better enroll for these too. All the other tiger parents do.
    Last edited by Mrs. Jones; 05-04-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    CharlotteC likes this.

@Mrs. Jones kids expected to read and write in two languages by age 4? Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    @Mrs. Jones kids expected to read and write in two languages by age 4? Oh my.
    For these top tier schools, unfortunately yes. It's ludicrous. We very much regret falling into this trap a few years ago, would do things much differently if I knew then what I know now.

I saw a tuition center in Hang Hau which has ad for Singapore Maths. WTF is Singapore maths, is it special maths, do they teach you 1+1 = something different LOL.

We sell Singapore Math books on ShopinHK. They sell well.

https://www.shopinhk.com/search.php?...hs&mode=search

chuckster007 and CharlotteC like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast