Like Tree10Likes

Pre-Kindergarten for 4 year old - Entrance for January 2018

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Pre-Kindergarten for 4 year old - Entrance for January 2018

My son and I plan to move to Hong Kong later this year (November/December timeframe) and was wondering if schools will allow students to enter for the January timeframe versus August/September.

Also, as he is only English-speaking and will be living in the Central/Mid-level area, what schools would be good for him? Should he only consider international schools? I doubt he would be able to register for a local school as he has zero Cantonese knowledge but I do want him to be exposed and to learn Cantonese as my husband is from Hong Kong with HK/US dual citizenship. I speak a different Chinese dialect and am from the US.

There are so many schools and I feel so inundated. Not living in HK at this moment does not help my school research at all since I cannot visit the schools or make phone calls very easily. A list of schools that may accomodate my son would be truly helpful. Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome in terms of how I should go about looking for a preschool for him.

Thanks in advance. I need all the help I can get!

Welcome to HK!

Yes, you can start school in January in HK. You'll have better luck finding a place in an international school rather than local. There's not a lot of movement in local schools. Local kids usually start going to school at 2. Also, if your child is turning 5 next year (born in 2013) you need to apply for primary schools this September 2017. More info on ESF primary here English Schools Foundation Online Application - English Schools Foundation

If you're staying in Mid-Levels have a look at the following kindergartens

Discovery Montessori - Sheung Wan
    Tutor Time - Caine Rd
    Woodlands - Caine Rd/Peak
    Highgate - Peak

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Your best bet on that timeframe is to apply for a space at Woodlands, which tends to be very flexible for international families moving into HK and having space at all times of the year.

A lot of the international schools actually accept children from age 3 or 4 as they run their own preschools. So as crazy as it sounds you're actually going to be behind schedule for a lot of schools. Schools that take children at/around age 5 that you should look at are ESF as mentioned above, Island Christian Academy, and Stamford American School. So you can apply to those for starting in 2018.

Give IMS a call. Great school in mid-levels and dual language, very strong Chinese programme. All parents and kiddies I know are or were very happy there.

Casa Dei Bambini Programme - The International Montessori School

Forgot about Island Christian Academy. It's a lovely primary school, and also in the Central area.

Stamford American is a new school and opens this year in Kowloon. They have a school in Singapore and have read mixed reviews.

Rani,
    Thank you so much for this information. Are ESF schools HK Government schools? And what is the difference between ESF and Montessori schools? I know the principles of Maria Montessori but no idea on ESF even after reading the ESF website. I think the majority of the schools are in the New Territories area except for one in mid-level. I see the tuition is not too bad considering the higher tuition I've heard of for many HK students. However, $76,000 HKD for 3 school hours per day?

I'll keep these schools in my bookmarks. Thanks!

Thanks Merchantms! Woodlands looks really good but I could not find the tuition and the amount of hours child will be attending daily. Is there a difference between Montessori and ESF? Is ESF very similar to the local HK schools that are rigorous in reading, writing and math?

I'll also keep in mind the CA and Stamford American School.

Yes, my son was born September 2013. We have him in a cooperative school in the US and he loves it. He's there 3 hours a day 3x a week. I love his school but want a good balance between the rigor of academics and play.

Thanks Mrs. Jones. This school looks really good. I would like to know IMS tuition but I could not find it on their website.

Found this on the ESF website:

ESF is proud of the high academic and wider achievements of our students. In 2016, 16 ESF students achieved the perfect score of 45 points in the IB Diploma examinations; more than 95% go on to leading universities worldwide.

Seems like ESF schools are pretty competitive. Are the ESF students miserable? just asking. Not being facetious.

@librarygirl2 Woodlands is all laid out quite clearly on the website Woodland Pre-Schools

ESF used to be govt funded but now it's an independent school system. It uses the International Baccalaureate curriculum. You can only apply to and attend the ESF campus in your catchment zone, so if you live in Mid Levels depending on location that would probably be Glenealy, Peak, or Bradbury school.

IMS as mentioned is the only "real" fully accredited Montessori school in HK. They do not list fees online, you have to attend a tour to get that info. Also there is a preschool campus in Mid Levels but the primary school from age 6 is in Stanley which is Southside of HK Island.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast