Like Tree6Likes

Studying Putonghua/Mandarin in China?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Studying Putonghua/Mandarin in China?

I looked around a bit and couldn't find a recent thread on this topic, so I'll try again.

I'm looking to spend some time, around 1-2 months, in China to learn Putonghua/Mandarin. Ideally, a place that could offer everyday, intensive group lesson and help arrange temporary accommodation. I know of places that do this in London for English (and I know what a bad experience some students can have, hah!), so looking for the equivalent in China...

Has anyone had an experience like this?

The obvious choice is Beijing but their accent is very hard on the ears.

I would suggest you try

Learn Chinese in China | Keats School

Super friendly, can change you schedule to suit yourself. Go as intense as you like, focu son grammar or characters or just speaking / listening.

Yunnan province is probably the nicest in China.

I would go to Taiwan.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I would go to Taiwan.
    Gotta agree with that, specially if you're planning to learn the characters since both HK & Taiwan use the traditional Chinese writings

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    Gotta agree with that, specially if you're planning to learn the characters since both HK & Taiwan use the traditional Chinese writings
    And Taiwan is nicer!

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    And Taiwan is nicer!
    And the food is much yummier

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    And Taiwan is nicer!
    That would be my main reason for choosing Taiwan over most places in China.

I agree with the recommendation for Taiwan. CCU in Taipei is very nice, and costs in Taiwan are only barely higher than in the Mainland. However, for anyone with a professional job here in Hong Kong I'd strongly recommend to take a private teacher instead. The opportunity cost of taking a break / leave for this kind of thing are, on a HK salary, massively higher than the fees for a teacher (CCU charges between 150 and 250 HKD/h depending on location and teacher seniority). I don't think a Beijing accent is worrrrrrth spending time in Beijing to be honest

Beijing is also an option. Works well if you're planning to return to HK with conversational Mandarin knowledge, along with asthma as a bonus

Bob Loblaw likes this.

Is Keats only for a 16 week course? I'd just like a 1 month summer course.

I hadn't considered Taiwan. I guess I was thinking of China because it scares me a little and I'd like in my short time on earth to say I've lived there and gotten to know it just a little.

Looking for a break from HK, and I'm not on a "HK salary" so definitely not looking for private lessons here, plus I want the daily immersion. But I'm looking into Chinese University here.

One thing that really worries me is I'll (as a CELTA holder) hate he teaching method. I just can't take it if they put pinyin on the board and expect it to be read outloud, like a teacher in HK did.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 24-05-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast