Student Teacher in Hong Kong! Where can I find a mentor??

Closed Thread

Student Teacher in Hong Kong! Where can I find a mentor??

Hey guys,

I'm studying to be a licensed teacher (not through an HK university). Part of the program requires me to find a mentor in my subject and level (Secondary English). I've tried contacting schools in my area, and none have expressed any willingness to help. If anyone knows a teacher or a school that would be receptive to taking on a student teacher, please let me know. This is the biggest challenge right now standing between myself and a teaching cert. There is a stipend at the end of the program worth US$500 for the mentor.

Cheers,
    Jack

Hi Elle,

Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm having is that my school is in Florida. This is an online program. So I need to be proactive and find a mentor for myself. If you know any sec school English teachers, I'd be happy to contact and discuss with them.

Cheers!

I'm living in Hong Kong, studying through an online program sponsored by the Florida Department of Education in Florida. All the coursework is done online. I need to find a school in Hong Kong to start my teaching practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo2025:
    Hey guys,

I'm studying to be a licensed teacher (not through an HK university). Part of the program requires me to find a mentor in my subject and level (Secondary English). I've tried contacting schools in my area, and none have expressed any willingness to help. If anyone knows a teacher or a school that would be receptive to taking on a student teacher, please let me know. This is the biggest challenge right now standing between myself and a teaching cert. There is a stipend at the end of the program worth US$500 for the mentor.

Cheers,
    Jack
    If you are a foreign national , particularly US, seek and ask the compatriot networks. I have seen expat native English speaking teachers around.

Maybe try asking at some of the international schools?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think you're right, continue visiting the International Schools, particularly the US schools asking for permission to observe and eventually something good will come out of it. So that's what I'll start doing.

Cheers!

The other option is to go out of the school boundary and see if teachers from British council or the private schools will accept him/her. There are summer courses and they will be popular with parents eager to let their kids improve their English.

Ah I see.