Like Tree30Likes

2017 IB results - Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Speaking of GSIS ...

With a 100% pass rate, our 51 IB Diploma students have achieved an average IB Diploma score of 39.9 points, a level that is truly outstanding and qualifies them as top students in Hong Kong and Asia.

Congratulations to Valerie Hung for achieving a score of 45 points, the maximum score possible. Five more candidates followed closely behind on 44 points. 61.0% of candidates achieved a score of at least 40 out of a potential 45 points; 92.2% scored 35 points or above.
    https://mygsis.gsis.edu.hk/2017/07/g...demic-results/

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I went to a very competitive private school in the US and students were only kicked out for gross behavioral issues e.g. constantly skipping class, drugs/alcohol, violence, etc. The entrance was difficult but once you were in, you were in. Still managed to achieve high results in exams and university placements.

What is the point of a school if it can't provide to students what they need to succeed - whatever that means for the individual student? It tells me the school lacks proper pastoral care. The school is serving its own purpose (i.e. getting best results) over serving the needs of the students (i.e. getting them the best education for their skills and ability).
    Kids who are not admitted again go to another school

To be clear, I have know two guy who had to do that. They were much happier in the other school and succeeded (albeit with one year delay) to get their A level (Equivalent) and now have a good job. They probably felt upset at the time but in retrospect both think it was a good thing. The ultra competitive nature of the school didn't suit them.Parents insisted they went there as they used to have good grade at the level below but it all became complicated when they started to fall behind. Teachers did a lot to bring them back up (free tutoring etc) but at the end they could not cope with the amount of work etc.

what you do? you let them rot at the back of the class or you transfer them to a slightly less competitive school? Second option was taken and while it took them a few months to adjust both succeeded.

Again it's not like someone is waiting for you at the end of the class and tell you to pack your shit and go home. We are talking about months of work from competent teachers, counselors etc.

218 perfect scores worldwide - 25 in Hong Kong

http://mailbuild.ibo.org/t/ViewEmail...07B176AE29F890

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    “We anticipate recording an even better result in the next few weeks. The 44 marks are very close and as last year, we are very hopeful that the remarking process will see more of our students rewarded with perfect scores”, Mary Peart adds.
    What the hell? The school gets involved in applying for remarkings to get a 44 to a 45?

Add one more to my many reasons for avoiding this school for my child. Jesus.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    What the hell? The school gets involved in applying for remarkings to get a 44 to a 45?

Add one more to my many reasons for avoiding this school for my child. Jesus.
    Many schools get involved. One of our relatives had a paper or two go in for remarking. Did not follow up to see if it got better results or not.

Oops, with all the holier than thou comments in this thread, I almost read your last line as ... "this school for my child, Jesus".

(Yes, its friday, thank you for leaving me with the perfect setup for this thread...)
    merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Oops, with all the holier than thou comments in this thread, I almost read your last line as ... "this school for my child, Jesus".

(Yes, its friday, thank you for leaving me with the perfect setup for this thread...)
    If my child was Jesus I think I'd be sending him to St Paul's or DBS

ESF's 12 out of 15

8 from Shatin College,
    4 KGV
    2 West Island
    1 South Island

https://scontent-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...70&oe=5A120FA9

Honestly I'm disgusted by this banter about a situation that has no basis in fact. I am a local student studying at one of the schools mentioned in the newspaper article (ignore my username, it's kinda trollish when people realise I'm Chinese), and I have absolutely no clue what things are like in ESF schools (those 'international' schools are presumably not the subject of debate here as it seems to be focusing on the culture in traditional schools in Hong Kong), but I do know that at least where I study, there's definitely no 'pruning' going on. Since most traditional schools that do provide the IB program seem to have their own primary schools, many of the pupils have already been selected for special talents/academic capability or been trained up by the time they reach secondary education. Even if people are severely under-performing compared to their frankly elite peers, no kicking-out goes on. Unless you fail an important subject, you're golden, and if you do actually manage to fail an IB subject in an internal exam (our teachers usually say getting a 2 or 3 is harder than getting a 5), you get to take a supplementary exam to see whether you are genuinely unable to cope with the curriculum of the next academic year. Oh and if you fail that, you simply don't get promoted, but you still stay in the school. In short, schools in Hong Kong do not necessarily weed out the weaker students. On the contrary, they even cater to their needs and try to understand where their weakness are and how they can be fixed. I'm speaking from a school that is pretty well known for good results, which I think is quite indicative of how far the OP has stereotyped HK schools.

Editor, Mat, shri and 1 others like this.

Lots of stereotype on here abt HK school.

Original Post Deleted
    From my understanding if a student is not suited to the IB Diploma they have 4 choices
    - Leave the school
    - Choose to do the Certificate
    - Do BTEC at KGV
    - Do a hybrid course with the likes of SCAD

People have focused on a handful that got 45pts but the scores in Hong Kong are really impressive overall.

Average points score for all IB Diploma students

ESF Average 35.8 points Global 29.95 points (in 2017)
    30 points or more ESF 89.8% Global 54.0%
    35 points or more ESF 61.7% Global 26.2%
    40 points or more ESF 24.0% Global 7.3%

30 Points will get you into an OK Uni
    35 Points will get you into a good Uni
    40 Points will get you into a great Uni