Teaching in International Schools

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teaching in International Schools

Hi all, advice needed.

Ive been teaching TESOL in Thailand and Hong Kong for the last year but want to take the next step and get a teaching degree to allow me be to be a full classroom teacher (primary). Id rather not go back to the UK to take my PGCE, so am thinking about doing a post-grad teaching degree here in HK. I presume this qualification would allow me to work in a govt school here, but is this possible if I dont speak Cantonese? Also, would this type of qualification be acceptable to international schools or would I need a Qualified Teacher Status from my county of origin (UK)?

Thanks.

You can do the PGDE (English Subject) here with several months' practicum, building up classroom experience with the guidance of a "mentor" working in local schools.

Most institutions in HK offering the PGDE - on the face of it - don't require you to have Cantonese/Chinese to apply. However, a few optional courses you'll later choose, as the year progresses, may have a majority of fellow students who'll sway the lingo of group discussions/tutorials to Canto (especially if you've a Chinese face!); perhaps coz of their wavering comfort-level - or ability - in Eng?

If you've the recognised, first-step Cert-TESOL (or CELTA/CELTYL) as well as an initial degree, you'll have no probs getting a decent English teaching post. The "international" schools though, understandably, seem to give priority to those teachers who have proven years' teaching experience in another country; so that they can bring something different or new to the mix.

But if you're aiming for early primary in "international" settings, then pretty sure there are lots of opportunities around Good luck.

Last edited by emmie; 12-11-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typos everywhere...

Thanks Emmie. I have been doing TESOL work in schools here, but if I do a post grad teaching degree as well I would want to work in an international school eventually, if even just to recoup the course fee, as its pretty expensive! You've echoed what others have told me however about needed a fair bit of experience to get these jobs. Thanks for posting!

If you are here and you have a teaching degree, you will find a job in an international school for sure. Maybe not HKIS or ESF but there are plenty of others where you can cut your teeth in...

If you have something special to offer, it really helps. For example coaching the senior football, rugby, basketball. I've known teachers with relatively little experience getting jobs that way. One is currently at West Island school for ESF.

Funny enough, ESF is actually more interested in hiring younger teachers now because of the money saving. Most schools have been told to cut their average to around 9 years of experience and the last I heard they were between 11-13.

For government schools, you should look into Primary NET scheme (EDB - Recruitment for Primary NET). You are in category 4, which means that they will consider you if there are not enough applications that fit categories 1-3. I suppose that varies from year to year.

For DSS schools, you might also have a chance. I met a Head of Department in a local school, who was in category 4 and completed a part-time PGDE while teaching at the school.

You do not need to know Cantonese to complete the PGDE. I was told that that the full-time students in the HKU PGDE programme seem to receive more attention than the part-time students and the part-time programme is disorganised. This may or may not be true or might have changed.

As for international schools, I doubt that any international school will hire someone who has just gotten their teaching qualification and has no experience in an international education system. They need to ensure that they maintain their image and parent's confidence. However, some of they might consider hiring you and hiring policies seem to be changing.

If you decide to work in a local school while studying for the PGDE, you can spend some time learning more about international school systems and curricula and develop extra-curricular activity skills. Working in local schools in the UK or other countries might be more useful than teaching in local HK schools.

Good luck. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of applying to international primary schools can help you.

Hi all,

Sorry to bump up an old thread...but I had some questions regarding working in an International School in Hong Kong.

I am working under the JET programme (teaching English in Japan) and will be getting a Masters' degree in teaching ESL (English as a Second Language). I was wondering what are the requirements for teaching English as a Second Language in HK's International Schools? Is a graduate degree in teaching English and some prior experience enough, or do I need to get some sort of certification in Hong Kong?

Thanks all!

If you have proper teaching credentials then you go through the process of getting accredited by the HK Education Bureau which issues you a license allowing you to teach in HK. When the school hires you, they help you out and often pay for the associated costs.

Thanks gilleshk. You just answered a question of mine as I'm a high school Math teacher with the same type of inquiry. Do you have a website for how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Numbers:
    Thanks gilleshk. You just answered a question of mine as I'm a high school Math teacher with the same type of inquiry. Do you have a website for how to do this?
    same question here...

Are you also a Math teacher?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast