Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jmbf

Passing up on a NET job - worst decision ever?

Angry Passing up on a NET job - worst decision ever?

I have been regretting ever since I turned down a NET teaching position with a local DSS secondary school this May. Everything went particularly well during the interview and such but on the same day I was offered a contract extension with my current school even though it was for a regular teaching post. Since I am not registered as a NET through Edb, I thought I would not get the special allowance until I do, hence, I chose to stay at my current school and test my luck next year after I do.
    But now I deeply regret this decision after reading on this forum about how hard it is to get a NET job. Does anyone know what chances I have finding a job next year? What are the chances of getting accepted through Edb? I have a BA in psychology from Canada , a local PGDE in English, MA in English Education from HKU and almost three years of local secondary language teaching experience. The thing is, I'm originally from HK but immigrated to Canada since primary. Would that affect my chances since edb and many schools would prefer foreigners? I shot myself in the foot with this decision!

It is not possible to claim the housing allowance if you are a permanent resident of Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    It is not possible to claim the housing allowance if you are a permanent resident of Hong Kong.
    I have heard conflicting reports on that.
    My normal residence isn't in HK. All of my immediate family still live in Canada though.

That's not true. I know permanent residents who get the special allowance. If you can show 'significant connections' to your home country then you can sometimes successfully claim the allowance although it's not always clear cut and there is some grey area.
    Mrs. Jones and TheBrit like this.

I think you should also be more confident in yourself. The fact you got an offer means you are wanted (just a few months ago). And looking through your qualifications and experience, you are certainly a more attractive proposition for schools.

There's a lot of foreigners who come to HK, cannot find a job, so have to teach English as they are native speakers. They probably don't want to be teachers, may not have the passion, may not be even that good, but due to the circumstances, there are no other choices but to do a TEFL, and make some money.

I know US and European citizens who are HK PRs who do this,

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I think you should also be more confident in yourself. The fact you got an offer means you are wanted (just a few months ago). And looking through your qualifications and experience, you are certainly a more attractive proposition for schools.

There's a lot of foreigners who come to HK, cannot find a job, so have to teach English as they are native speakers. They probably don't want to be teachers, may not have the passion, may not be even that good, but due to the circumstances, there are no other choices but to do a TEFL, and make some money.
    The NET scheme requires teachers to have proper teaching qualifications, not just a certificate. EDB NETs come here because they're professional teachers, not because they don't have any other choice but to teach.

OP, what attracts you to a NET position aside from the special allowance? Most schools are looking for a NET who can offer something different to a local teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    The NET scheme requires teachers to have proper teaching qualifications, not just a certificate. EDB NETs come here because they're professional teachers, not because they don't have any other choice but to teach.
    Not necessarily. There are still teachers who get into the scheme with just a BA (non-English related), a recognised TEFL certificate (such as the CELTA) and some teaching experience. Granted, it's getting more and more competitive to get in, but still, there are relatively few in the scheme who have true QTS. Many have the PGDE from HKU, but that's only really useful in HK, it won't allow them to teach in their home countries.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Not necessarily. There are still teachers who get into the scheme with just a BA (non-English related), a recognised TEFL certificate (such as the CELTA) and some teaching experience. Granted, it's getting more and more competitive to get in, but still, there are relatively few in the scheme who have true QTS. Many have the PGDE from HKU, but that's only really useful in HK, it won't allow them to teach in their home countries.
    A BA and a CELTA won't get you a secondary position, only primary.