Like Tree126Likes

"Extra Tuitions" - The Real Cost of Education?

  1. #211
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    It feels as though you are over-estimating the issue.
    Yeah I over estimate the issue:

    All work and no play: why more Hong Kong children are having mental health problems | South China Morning Post

    Hong Kong children suffer greater mental stress and parents can’t cope, report warns | South China Morning Post

    More young Hongkongers seek treatment for mental health problems, figures show | South China Morning Post

    Survey reveals 90 per cent of students suffer from study pressure UNICEF HK MAV helps children voice out In celebration of the [email protected] Merry X’MAV Christmas Tree lighted up today to showcase 25 achievements - The Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF

    Sleepless in Hong Kong: Parents worried sick over kids in school

    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/05/0...ool-tsa-tests/

    "Now that Tracy is in Primary Three, Eric says her homework assignments have increased, and that BCA drills and worksheets would be mixed in with regular homework.
    “She comes home at around 4pm, and starts working at around 5pm… until 9pm or 10pm. In the weekend when she has more to do, she could work until 11pm
    "

  2. #212

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    10,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    FFS - do you really need me to write down that it's not ZERO?
    It's obvious it's not zero ..are you really that thick???.
    You suggested it was close to zero. It is not and it is growing rapidly.

  3. #213

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    10,312
    Again I would argue the brutal up or out system that offers no second chances. You fail to get your kid into a good Primary then you have written off your kids future...
    Jeff_ likes this.

  4. #214

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    10,312
    Is this the fault of tutoring? Surely the excessive use of tutoring is just a symptom. Again limited data on the excessive use of tutoring. Hyperbolic headlines grab attention but don't necessarily further understanding.

  5. #215
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    You suggested it was close to zero. It is not and it is growing rapidly.
    whatever really - no point discussing if you use these lines of argument.

  6. #216
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    13,500
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Is this the fault of tutoring? Surely the excessive use of tutoring is just a symptom. Again limited data on the excessive use of tutoring. Hyperbolic headlines grab attention but don't necessarily further understanding.
    it is the whole fucking system.,.OBVIOUSLY and tutoring is part of it..

  7. #217

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    whatever really - no point discussing.
    You keep saying that but still going on and on and on and on.
    Perhaps you should stop.
    Jeff_ likes this.

  8. #218

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    10,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    it is the whole fucking system.,.OBVIOUSLY and tutoring is part of it..
    Which system?

    International schools run outside the EBD's usual controls and many kids aren't financially restricted to only consider local Tertiary education.

    Do you know the average hours a kid at an international school spends being tutored?

  9. #219
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    13,500

    I will make the conclusion so we can move on to the next topic because since EC is here I get the feeling this will just go in circles, with pie chart, random data from Tajikistan and the likes.

    Tutoring in HK is great, works well, kids are under no special pressure at school and from parents and top student in top school do tutoring because they ask their parents for it as they want to better themselves.
    @merchantms - now you got your answer.

    Sorry if you thought other systems might work better. HK one is one of the best (the best?) so count yourself lucky to bring yup our kids here and don't whine about paying 200K of Int school and add half of that or a quarter of that for tutoring. That's the way it is, it works well and kids are happy and well rounded (@hk_katherine, remember that when you whine about not being able to hire local kids from top school or sthg. You are wrong.)

    Skyhook likes this.