Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Wycombe Abbey in 2019 - Was Nord Anglia - Tin Wan

There's a fundamental problem in Hong Kong. No one will invest the money in developing housing or schools in places where there isn't maximum return. As such, there aren't places developed "where no one would want to live" -- if no one would want to live there, the market would actually be very cheap, and in fact those in need of something cheaper would go there and have an option. But heaven forbid developers lay some concrete where they won't get billions...

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    By the way, I've seen the refurb they did at another local housing estate (Wah Kwai) and it was a significant improvment - both in the quality of tenants / shop layouts / cleanliness etc ... local estate residents seem to be shopping / eating / lifestyling without any complaints.
    Wah Kwai has an international kindergarten (Dalton) but they seem to have been given a very crappy space with little natural light. So the developers there prioritized local needs e.g. shops etc over a private school. They've had to build their primary campus on Kowloon side as I guess there was no chance of further room at Wah Kwai.

You'd think NA could just have a mandatory bussing policy which would mean no issue of Alphards?

You'd think NA could just have a mandatory bussing policy which would mean no issue of Alphards?
    I feel there is no room on that street to accommodate 10-20 buses of various sizes arriving in a 20-30 minute interval and parking for 3-5 mins each for drop off / 20-30 mins each for pick up. Certainly no room for 50+ cars and 10-20 buses.

Was told most people from Tin Wan tend to take a mini / bus to Aberdeen anyways since there are far more options for shopping and eating.

I forget if there is an underground car park in that building to allow for drop off by bus or car - but there is a bus terminal, which will compete with these buses. Going down from that hill, there is a low end tourist hotel which caters to mainland tourists - again, I feel that gets congested too.

The Wah Kwai shopping area is rather small compared to the Tin Wan area which is probably 3-5x the size.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Good of them to do that. We'd be looking at Reception in a few years so weren't in a hurry, hence the desire to wait until the campus had opened.

At Tai Tam is it up to year 2?
    As far as I am aware - our son started in Reception (although it is now called Lower Kindergarten) and there is Upper Kindergarten (Year 1) above. There isn't a Year 2 there at the moment (presumably as all of last years Year 1 were at the main Lam Tin campus), but we were told he wouldn't move to Lam Tin campus until the start of Year 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Same- I've noticed a lot of empty school buildings around HK.
    Yes... like the empty school building next to the Tin Wan shopping centre (which when I first went on a recce to Tin Wan was where I assumed Nord were planning on using...)

Speaking to my neighbor who has a business in the area, she said that it seems that the work is stopped due to traffic concerns from local residents.

Small roads and there are two hotels in that area which get quite a bit of bus traffic.
    I stopped walking the dog through Tin Wan, but that one U-shaped road through it used to get massive traffic tie-ups.

There was Chinese restaurant at the top of the shopping centre that started some deal with Chinese tour buses.

It was a nightmare, as the buses would get all jammed up trying to get into the little drop-off parking lot (not the big parking garage).

Each time it happened, traffic would get backed up all the way back to the Praya and the police would have to come clear it out.
    shri and z754103 like this.

Looks like Wycombe Abbey school has been given a license to operate in this mall.

https://applications.edb.gov.hk/scho...51000123&type=

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Looks like Wycombe Abbey school has been given a license to operate in this mall.

Expensive.

Am I the only one who thinks this makes no sense?

Original plan:
    Nord Anglia
    Primary campus - Tin Wan
    Through school campus - Lam Tin

New genius plan:
    Wycombe Abbey
    Primary campus - Tin Wan
    Secondary campus - TBD/doesn't exist

Also WA is a girls school but this one will be coed? Like a reverse Harrow?

I saw the post about it on Facebook and I guess I'm out of touch but is there really demand in HK for a $200+K a year British primary only school?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3