Like Tree19Likes

IELTS or GCSE?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by knk:
    Also... the gcse in English may or may not have a spoken English assessment,- this depends on the exam board and the school/exam centres choice. if it doesn’t have a speaking and listening component then unis can ask for IELTS.

Your daughter may need some support to prepare for the course before starting GCSE.
    Couldn't agree with this more - there is nothing more demoralising than to be thrust into a new exam stream and struggle because you lack the basics.

This is not intended to be condescending, so please do not take it as such. If your daughters English really is currently equivalent to a D passing grade in English First Language IGCSE, then I would say that if you enrol her in IGCSE preparation classes as soon as possible it is conceivable that she could improve a grade or 2 come the exams. Perhaps more, depending on how tenacious and focused a learner she is.

Below a D level, I would argue your best bet is to focus on activity based learning: board game classes, art classes in English, etc which will up her exposure, usage and familiarity without the demoralising effect of disappointing exam drills that I mentioned above.

If the situation is the former, then my company could help by providing feedback to a mock cie IGCSE First Language question with mark scheme references so you can see where the weaknesses are and decide for yourself what to do. Call 3596-7359 (Hertford Academy) and ask for Simon.

Hope this helps,

Simon @Hertfordacademy
    Spanish_teacher and NRGJones like this.

Hello!

I've just recently graduated from University in the UK and I had enrolled as a student studying in international school, so I have studied both the GCSE (year 9 to 11) and the I.B diploma (year 12 and 13) respectively. However what I found was that I still needed to take the IELTS exam eventually despite having english as my native language and taught language throughout my secondary education.

IELTS is out of 9.0 and many universities expect at least a 7.0 for undergraduate degree courses, and possibly 6.0 for a foundation year course. My first attempt was a 7.5 and this was with no preparation and as mentioned above this caught me off guard. I finished university and this time did a few past papers and resat the IELTS and received a 9.0, being a native speaker definitely helps but if you want/need the extra marks exam technique is where the difference will be made. I know there are many who will be in disagreement here but for me personally IELTS was merely a means to an end (to get into university).

Essentially, echoing what has been said already, GCSE english took me the 3 years in school to learn and study, IELTS I had to do as a requirement (despite having GCSE and I.B diploma) but the difficulty was definitely not the same and I could prepare for it in a few days. My friends at university studied in local school and english was a second language for them but doing the past papers for IELTS also helped them get the grade they needed.

GCSE- You really learn english, it can even be (usually is) challenging for even native speakers as literature isnt for everyone but you gotta do it with language (so we had Eng Lit and Eng Lang)

IELTS- You cant really choose because if you're aiming to study in UK they will most likely ask for it anyway, but its only valid for 2 years so dont do it till you start applying (I did mine after I got an offer)

Sorry for the long post hope it helps!

shri, drumbrake and NRGJones like this.

The ielts request from universities even when a student had gcse was quite a 'thing' last year. It seems a new algorithm was fed to a computer where by a non Anglo surname and a non English speaking (predominantly) country meant you got a request to do ielts.
    1 phone call explaining attending a EMI international school for 13 yrs and the request was waived saving the student quits a few$$$

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by knk:
    The ielts request from universities even when a student had gcse was quite a 'thing' last year. It seems a new algorithm was fed to a computer where by a non Anglo surname and a non English speaking (predominantly) country meant you got a request to do ielts.
    1 phone call explaining attending a EMI international school for 13 yrs and the request was waived saving the student quits a few$$$
    hmmm I should not have said request... when applying for the university they will list it as a requirement for all overseas students. Of course as you say, you can try and tell the admissions of the university you are native and such.. but doing it isnt bad itself, i think its around $2000 so its not too costly but it saves you having to explain and try to persuade all the places you will apply to and it is a qualification itself so if you do summer intern it is something extra. But you are right im sure some admissions would understand.

Ok. Looks like they might ask for IELTS anyway at some point. But it still sounds as though GCSE is the way to go. Thanks a lot for all your advice, guys.

You can join her in English Language Schools OR the best option is to send her IELTS exam course which can help in near future. Without a language proficiency higher education is not possible. you can also send her for language internship programmes to improve the skills.
    The Language Gallery, Cactus language schools offer courses in the English language.

Last edited by DavidMike; 19-02-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added more information to the comment

"GCSE is definitely the way to go to improve general English" is what I don't understand. GCSE is a standardized test which includes an English subtest which is mainly designed to test native speakers. IELTS is mainly designed to test non-native speakers. Is your daughter a native speaker?