Like Tree19Likes

IELTS or GCSE?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IELTS or GCSE?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, but have a slightly odd situation and was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience or could offer some advice. My daughter's in a local school currently, but I'm hoping long term that I can persuade her to go study in the UK or US. Despite the fact I'm English, for various reasons I won't go into, her English isn't really her native language. I know that if you want to study in the UK you need a GCSE in English (which her school doesn't offer), or an "IELTS" qualification. I was wondering if anyone of you has had a kid do a GCSE independently, and how viable it is (how much extra time/effort etc it would be). Obviously I'm not just thinking of university. I'd really like her English to get better generally, so the second question I have is whether the GCSE is actually the best option there, or whether this IELTS thing is more thorough. Is there anyone here who has experience with these qualifications and could give me a bit of impartial advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

My son is doing GCSEs and we've had an employee who took the IELTS exam. Here's what I see ...

GCSE - Academic program, covers literature, poetry, analytical, comprehension and other aspects
    IELTS - Functional understanding, covers comprehension and if I recall listening and verbal skills

I'm a teacher but trained in a different education system so do not have direct experience teaching the GCSE. From what I know, the GCSE is a school qualification, in the same way the DSE, HSC, A levels etc etc are (of course these are all different systems, different levels). Meanwhile, IELTS (which I'm very familiar with) is an English proficiency exam that is used to prove one's English level in order to enter university, for immigration purposes, etc. IELTS is for anyone over 16 years and is valid for two years. There are two types - academic and general English.
    IELTS includes the four main skills: reading, writing, listening, speaking. IELTS training will help improve your daughter's English and prepare her for tertiary study.
    However, you're a native English speaker - how do you want her to learn English and view the language? Do you want her to learn it the same way kids back home would? Eg poetry, literature, text analysis, etc, as well as academic English... If so, you may want something more than IELTS training and therefore go down the route of something like GCSE.
    Another thing - what kind of local school is she at? EMI or CMI? I know a lot of local schools have extra training in IELTS and other things like that. You could encourage her to participate in any such school based training, as well.

Kowloon Goon, NRGJones and jmbf like this.

I work in University Admissions. Great advice already provided above. GCSE is definitely the way to go to improve general English, this should also help with IELTS Academic if required further down the line.

Note that IELTS has a validity date of 2 years so I would only recommend doing after she applies to University.

shri and Kowloon Goon like this.

It seems that your daughter's decision here is key. You should, however, be prepared either way so that you can ensure her success whichever route she chooses.

If she decides that the UK or US is the way to go, then (echoing the words of others above) the GCSE is the best option. Not only because it will align more closely with English syllabuses she will encounter when studying in those education systems, but because there is a degree of cross-curriculum reinforcement with respect to the language transfer into other subjects like History or Science that she would otherwise miss out on.

From experience, we have seen the IELTS used in two principal ways: 1) to serve as additional academic evidence of English competency when applying for degree level study abroad, and 2) as a way to achieve greater fluency in English language skills through the following of a structured, internationally recognised course.

Since your concerns seem to be more about which qualification would benefit her most overall, it seems that the first reason is the one that principally applies to you. However as MerMer outlined above, taking the IELTS may be justified should your daughter choose to stay in Hong Kong to continue her further studies.

Hope this helps,
    Simon @Hertfordacademy

shri and NRGJones like this.

IELTS is an exam, and while there are IELTS preparation courses, they do not in themselves lead to greater fluency / proficiency in English. Rather, they usually focus on exam skills and give some indication of what examiners are looking for in the test. Native or expert speakers in English often do not do as well as they expect in IELTS because they do not do know enough about the exam and what is expected from them.

Improving English - read more English books; watch English movies / TV; join social groups where English is the main language used.

shri likes this.

Thanks, MerMer. Looks like IELTS isn't the best option then. Much appreciated!

MerMer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hertford:
    It seems that your daughter's decision here is key. You should, however, be prepared either way so that you can ensure her success whichever route she chooses.

If she decides that the UK or US is the way to go, then (echoing the words of others above) the GCSE is the best option. Not only because it will align more closely with English syllabuses she will encounter when studying in those education systems, but because there is a degree of cross-curriculum reinforcement with respect to the language transfer into other subjects like History or Science that she would otherwise miss out on.
    So, can anyone suggest where I should look if I wanted to prepare her for the GCSE outside of school? Thanks again!

@NRGJones - I think ITS Services or ITS something or the other offers a GSCE/A-Levels prep course. Not sure if they can apply for the students to sit the GCSEs or if it the application has to be made through a school.

All great advice, but I wonder if your daughter is a the level to begin GCSE? These are a first language ‘course/qualification ‘ and expect reading and writing skills to be proficient.
    There are 2 separate and different courses, language and Literature, most UK schools and international ones in HK will do these as a combined course. Is she currently reading ‘literature?’ Is she able to discuss it in terms of historical, political, social context?
    Ive just finished making a pile of lanague papers whereby the students needed to understand what homeopathy was and follow arguments both for and against. The students who are 2nd. Lanagues speakers, and who don’t have English as the main communication medium at home are really challenged.

Also... the gcse in English may or may not have a spoken English assessment,- this depends on the exam board and the school/exam centres choice. if it doesn’t have a speaking and listening component then unis can ask for IELTS.

Your daughter may need some support to prepare for the course before starting GCSE.

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast