View Poll Results: Is TESOL in this day and age thriving, dying, or dead?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Itís alive and kicking!

2 33.33%
  • Itís cooling down, but itís still thriving.

2 33.33%
  • Itís not dead yet, but itís getting there.

1 16.67%
  • Itís dead in the water.

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree33Likes

Is the TESOL well running dry, or am I going about it all wrong?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Anyone who expects the world to be unchanged from their parents generation is in for a nasty shock. The world doesn't owe any of us a living. I don't expect my children will make the same choices as me, neither did I make the same choices as my parents.
    Canadian Millennials aren't in the same boat. Basically what you're defending is appalling governance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...inning/423510/
    Last edited by civil_servant; 28-02-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    Manhattan212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Canadian Millennials aren't in the same boat. Basically what you're defending is appalling governance.
    World class mouth-stuffing there. Nobody gives a shit about Canada

No, thanks.

I believe too many students opt for wishy-washy arts/business/media/social studies degrees and waste their money - I don't really have much sympathy for them to be honest. In the UK, post-graduation employment rates are published and available before you apply for University. Is this not the case in the US too?
    Yeah. Who needs thinkers anyway. Let's make more do-ers.

Anyone who expects the world to be unchanged from their parents generation is in for a nasty shock. The world doesn't owe any of us a living. I don't expect my children will make the same choices as me, neither did I make the same choices as my parents.
    Who expects the world to be unchanged? The whole article is pointing out how it's changed!

Quote Originally Posted by dengxi
    Who expects the world to be unchanged? The whole article is pointing out how it's changed!
    Millennials complaining things were easier for their parents.

Millennials complaining things were easier for their parents.
    To the extent we live in a community where people genuinely want to succeed together, complaining can be positive. People may not be aware of how the world's changed and might want to do something to help people respond to the challenges.

The article highlights the impact of zoning regulations or lack of transparency on the political process, and how that affects urban development and opportunities for young people. It may be that we can have a better solution for everyone (or at least more people) by analysing the issues better. I think there's a worthwhile debate to be had here and that the article mentions some potentially useful avenues of enquiry.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dengxi
    To the extent we live in a community where people genuinely want to succeed together, complaining can be positive. People may not be aware of how the world's changed and might want to do something to help people respond to the challenges.

The article highlights the impact of zoning regulations or lack of transparency on the political process, and how that affects urban development and opportunities for young people. It may be that we can have a better solution for everyone (or at least more people) by analysing the issues better. I think there's a worthwhile debate to be had here and that the article mentions some potentially useful avenues of enquiry.
    I wondered if we were reading the same article. I've just gone back and realised the stupid flashy graphics made me think the end was much earlier than it was. That's partially why I thought it was a shit article.

I still think it sounds a lot like whining, but the points on healthcare, the emerging gig economy (and possibly zoning
    - I dont known the details there) are valid.

There does need to be some adjustment in the balance between labour and capital in many developed economies - the US, the UK and HK are great examples. Whether this is achieved at the ballot box or at the end of a pitchfork I don't know - possibly he latter given how captured US politicians are.

Australia, the Nordics and Japan do a much better job of less income inequality and fairer social agreements.
    dengxi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    It always amazes me that Americans pay those ridiculously overpriced university fees if it leaves them in such debt. There are universities elsewhere in the world if they can't afford it at home. Kids (well, parents too) clearly aren't weighing up the value very well. 99% of countries in the world could not charge such high fees for the simple reason that nobody (or very few) would pay them.

There is no argument out there that will convince me that Americans are in a worse situation than anyone else. In fact it would be pretty easy to argue that most people in the world have it much worse.
    As an American whi I guess counts as the oldest millennial, I agree with this. Having lived abroad, many Americans do not realise how good they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsearching
    As an American whi I guess counts as the oldest millennial, I agree with this. Having lived abroad, many Americans do not realise how good they have it.
    An American using British spelling... :P

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4