Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sonic-dragon

HKU PGDE (Mathematics Education)

HKU PGDE (Mathematics Education)

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience, first or second hand, or knowlegde or advice concerning the PGDE (full time) at HKU, majoring in Mathematics Education ? It's my intention to become a mathematics teacher in Hong Kong. I speak only basic cantonese so obviously that means I could teach only in an EMI school (or ESF or an international school of course).

Thanks in advance
    SD

HKU PGDE

Hi SD

I am planning to do the PGDE from hKU, I wanted to know whether you joined the course majoring in maths. Can you give your opinion on the quality of the curriculum and the job prospects there after.

Thanks
    AB

No, I didn't apply yet. I am thinking of doing so around Dec this year for intake Sep 2011. I did a bit of research and the curriculum seems quite good, and I'm sure you'll be aware that HKUs reputation has been rising of late, so it seems like a good option, if you want to teach in HK. But if you are looking to teach in other countries you might want to consider training elsewhere. On the question of job prospects I received verbal assurance from some people that it would not be a problem, given that I'm a native English speaker, but opinion is divided on the matter. On the one hand are anecdotal stories of poor English skills among local teachers in EMI schools coupled with the general enthusiasm among parents for their children to have the best English skills possible. On the other hand is the general problem of teaching maths in a foreign language and possible resistance by school principals and staff to having maths teachers who don't speak the local language. For these reasons I'm also thinking of applying to do a PGCE in my home country (UK).

alifs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic-dragon:
    and I'm sure you'll be aware that HKUs reputation has been rising of late
    I think that the fact that top school comprises mainly US and UK schools isn't a set in stone fact and that some schools in Asia will rise to be as well regarded internationally. In this light, HKU is considered the best taught-in-english school in Asia, seems like an overall excellent pick for the future to me. But seeing that I am applying there I might be heavily biased.

PGDE/PGCE

But if you are looking to teach in other countries you might want to consider training elsewhere.
    If you have a bachelor's degree (any subject) and a PGDE from HKU you can apply for teaching jobs in the UK. You won't initially be on the same salary as locally qualified teachers (think you'll start around GBP16,000) but then you can undertake further training with the TDA to bring your skills/knowledge up to the equivalent of a UK PGCE which then gives you qualified teacher status in the UK.

For these reasons I'm also thinking of applying to do a PGCE in my home country (UK).
    Look carefully into fees if you apply to UK universities and you've been in HK for a while - in theory, if you haven't been resident in the UK for two years prior to starting the course you may be classed as an overseas student and have to pay higher fees. If not, you get the added advantage of getting a training bursary in the UK if training to be a teacher.