Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wilkette46
  • 1 Post By Mrs. Jones

NET 11 Chinese medium primary school

NET 11 Chinese medium primary school

Hi all,
    I’m looking for recommendations / insights for a Chinese medium of instruction primary as I have to apply in the fall for my daughter - we are in net 11/ central and western and I’d love to hear from any non Chinese speaking parents whose kids attend any of the schools in the net or perhaps teachers? I am looking for a coed school (I have a son as well probably want them in the same place!) where there is both Cantonese and some putonghua if possible, English of course, and with after school homework support to at least get some of it done there. Of course appreciate that we are at the mercy of the system but trying to see what we would like to rank as our top choices. Many thanks in advance for any views on any of these schools ....

Are you set on going through the local allocation system in order to get a place? There may be some suitable schools that operate under the Govt DSS that you would need to apply to individually rather than go through the Primary allocation system. Many are split English/Chinese medium of instruction They charge a fee but it is tiny compared to International school fees. But of course your child (and possibly you) will need to undertake some form of entrance test/interview to secure a place. (Primary/secondary list here: http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en/...st%20_e_tc.pdf)

Sorry I can't provide information on the local HK-side schools but, as a Western parent living in Kowloon with experience of the primary allocation system, be prepared for the allocation "aftermath". If you are lucky and get a place in your preferred school then that's great, but have a back up plan in place for a disappointing allocation. The 2 weeks after the results involves about 60% of the applicants trying to get into other schools because they didn't get their top 1,2 or 3 choices (in our case we had 9 choices and ended up allocated to a school we had never even heard of).

It's basically 2 weeks of trudging around all the schools you like and picking up forms to apply for any spots that may have sprung up. It's hard work so be prepared for lots of tests and interviews. Good luck. And I hope someone can come along and help you with your school choice.

Thanks a lot for this Pointing Finger. I’m looking at the DSS but appreciate that super competitive and also quite far from where we live. Might give it a shot but thought that the net had a strong level overall and hoped that targeting “happier” schools would make us prefer different institutions for the discretionary and central allocations but yes, I do expect ill have to take a month off work around allocation time and Beg along with everyone Else.... Helpful to hear your experience (and sobering).

I also thought that having a back up was tough as DSS / local private ask students to enroll before govt allocations Are released

Anyway yes, I am indeed interested to hear about net 11 but really appreciate your help and insights. Have a great day!

PointingFinger likes this.

You are in a competitive district with many parents both in and out of your district competing for the places in those famous schools with long history. The schools with most of their graduates going to famous local schools have a lot of applicants.

You need to know more about the schools first.

Try Catholic Mission School, nothing but excellent feedback from a very ethnically diverse group of parents. Approximately 35 nationalities I believe. One of the true local gems out there, a liberal & progressive school with mostly happy kids and parents. They have a local stream and an international stream, however due to its increasing popularity difficult to get into nowadays. Long waiting lists. Perhaps you will be lucky with the central allocation lottery or alternatively you can go ‘door knocking’.

wilkette46 likes this.

Sorry I can't be more specific with HK-side schools. This thing is such a major deal for local parents that there are forums all over that discuss the finer points of various institutions. It really helps to have some insider knowledge, so if you have any local friends that could advise, or at least browse some of the Chinese forums for insight, it would be a great help to you. We got some help from our kids' Mandarin tutor. She was kind enough to find out about the various schools we were considering and gave us the local "perception".

In the end it made no difference to our application as we were allocated a school we didn't list (for various reasons) but it *did* help in the post allocation clearing in terms of which schools to reapply to (basically all the ones we had originally put on the form LOL). He ended up at a school that was number 2 on our original list ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another thing that may be worth considering if you are unfortunate to have to go through reapplication is that many of the better schools will hold interviews/assessments at a similar time. So you will need to weigh up your chances and prioritise accordingly.

In terms of a backup, other than your initial allocation you can consider schools outside of your net if you need to. We used to live in Taipo and had a place secured at a primary school there just in case it didn't work out in Kowloon. In the end we didn't need it, but there's no harm in trying if there is one nearby (but in another net) that might work.

The good thing is that once you have your oldest child in the right school, getting her brother in will be a breeze because it is pretty much an automatic thing for siblings.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you need to ask me stuff. What I will say is that those two weeks of reapplications were the most stressfull, demoralising and tiring weeks of my life (and I have 3 kids!)

Thx so much for this, Pointing Finger I suspect I will feel your pain ... I might have to pm you indeed! Appreciate the feedback. I know we are in a popular net but we are not targeting the popular schools I think - St. Peter, kings boys 1 and 2, bonham - might help a little . Anyway, yes you are right, will discuss with local sources as much as possible. I must be crazy trying to do this !