Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

School placement for teacher training

Quote Originally Posted by Chand06
    Thanks eIIe...that information definitely helps. Sorry, I could not reply to your earlier message on time. I have already left Singapore so I cannot do my practicum there. I am trying to secure a position as teaching assistant in a secondary school currently.
    I wasn't talking about Singapore, rather about Hong Kong.

Hi I am about to apply for the PGCEi from Sunderland and I also need to secure a school placement before I am accepted. Did you manage to get a school/mentor?
    I am making a list of all the dep. heads at the international schools in Hong Kong.
    Also the ESF said they do accept Sunderland and have a few teachers who went through it on their staff but they are not sure it will continue to be accepted by the education bureau in the future.

Hi unfortunately I haven't managed to get a placement yet. The ESF schools do take in trainees but it seems they are full at the moment. Funnily, they do not tell when is a good time to approach them.

oh that is disappointing - what is your area of teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Chand06
    Hi unfortunately I haven't managed to get a placement yet. The ESF schools do take in trainees but it seems they are full at the moment. Funnily, they do not tell when is a good time to approach them.
    I’d recommend you to establish a relationship with one of the ESF schools if you want to get a placement. Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer... it is not that they are full, but why should they offer a placement to someone they don’t know. How would you be able to approach someone to be your mentor (meaning doing a lot of additional work) when you don’t know anyone in the school?
    There are currently 4 student teachers in my school, they either worked there as an educational assistant or built up rapport with the school prior to the placement.
    Chand06 and chingleutsch like this.

Visa related question.

Hello,

I’m also looking at completing a PGCE once I’ve finished my undergrad. I’m already in HK working as a NET teacher and have a working Visa to do so (studying at the same time).

I want to do my PGCE and placement in HK; however, as I need a Visa to work in HK I’m concerned that when it’s time to do a placement, I won’t be able to get a Visa to be a teaching assistant.

I’m wondering if anyone knows how to go about this. Does the training visa cover PGCE placement? And if so, will I still be able to work at the same time?

Any information about this will be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Here is everything you need to know about eligibility for training visas:

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services.../training.html

Which university do you indend to study for your PGCE? If you study full-time in any university in Hong Kong, a student visa woukd be the best option. If you study for a PGCE outside Hong Kong, you won’t be eligible for a training visa, as the actual training is not undertaken in Hong Kong.

Last edited by eIIe; 30-03-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2