Like Tree3Likes

School placement for teacher training

Closed Thread

School placement for teacher training

Hi

I know there have been somewhat related threads but I would like to clarify a few specific things.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Statistics and a Master's Degree in Information Systems and about 2.5 years of experience teaching at an international school in Singapore but do not have any formal teaching qualification except for a Cambridge certificate (4 month course).

I have been teaching Secondary mathematics and hope to continue the same in HK. I have decided to do the PGCE from Sunderland but I am not sure how to secure a school placement for the practicum.

Will it help to work as a Teaching Assistant in a "Primary School" or you need to teach at a level you are training for? I don't see any requirements for TAs in secondary schools.

Also, do you have to let the school know beforehand that you are looking at doing your practicum with them?

TIA for your help.

Thanks for your reply eIIe.

What I meant by my second questions is- if I work as an educational assistant at a primary school and do my practicum there, will I still be eligible to teach secondary maths after completing my pgce?

Hey there, just contact the Head of Department for maths at international schools. There are many good, quality schools who will be happy to take you on.

My other advice would be to do your practicum at two different schools. I did mine at one school. It was great and the students were great, but I wish I had gone to another school for my second practicum.

Best of luck.

Hi Chand06,

Did you end up finding your placement? I am also thinking of applying for Sunderland's PGCE (online) for upcoming September but I do not have personal contacts for international schools here in HK so I am contacting the schools one by one. (I am probably rushing it for this year but I wanted to try my best to find a school to take me in)

Thanks for your inputs everybody. I haven't really managed to get anything yet. Had requested few schools but they do not even reply to my mail. Hope to work out something so that I can apply for the January intake.

I have just got a taste of teaching in my 2.5 years of experience but it has been such a lovely experience, I just hope I can continue. I would greatly appreciate if anybody can share their experience as to in what capacity they were able to secure a place in a school, especially secondary schools. You can possibly PM me.

Thanks eIIe...that information definitely helps. Sorry, I could not reply to your earlier message on time. I have already left Singapore so I cannot do my practicum there. I am trying to secure a position as teaching assistant in a secondary school currently.

Hi I am about to apply for the PGCEi from Sunderland and I also need to secure a school placement before I am accepted. Did you manage to get a school/mentor?
    I am making a list of all the dep. heads at the international schools in Hong Kong.
    Also the ESF said they do accept Sunderland and have a few teachers who went through it on their staff but they are not sure it will continue to be accepted by the education bureau in the future.

Hi unfortunately I haven't managed to get a placement yet. The ESF schools do take in trainees but it seems they are full at the moment. Funnily, they do not tell when is a good time to approach them.

oh that is disappointing - what is your area of teaching?

Visa related question.

Hello,

I’m also looking at completing a PGCE once I’ve finished my undergrad. I’m already in HK working as a NET teacher and have a working Visa to do so (studying at the same time).

I want to do my PGCE and placement in HK; however, as I need a Visa to work in HK I’m concerned that when it’s time to do a placement, I won’t be able to get a Visa to be a teaching assistant.

I’m wondering if anyone knows how to go about this. Does the training visa cover PGCE placement? And if so, will I still be able to work at the same time?

Any information about this will be greatly appreciated!

TIA