Like Tree135Likes

Children’s books with LGBTQ themes disappear from shelves at Hong Kong libraries

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

OK, that pic made me wonder how the penguins got it done, adoption not being so common among animals (with notable exceptions here and there). Turns out it's a cute story of a couple of male penguins in a zoo that were given an extra egg and they worked to hatch it together- actual true story. I don't have little kids (daughter is 29) so haven't been around children's literature in a while.

Seems pretty harmless but apparently has been the subject of a lot of controversy..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Tango_Makes_Three

shri and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I went out to Festival Walk's Bookazine today and bought this. It's not in HKPL.

https://cdn2.penguin.com.au/covers/4...0963270702.jpg
    Satanic Verses is available.

https://webcat.hkpl.gov.hk/search/qu...rses&theme=WEB

Original Post Deleted
    Does it provide any guidance on LGBT issues?

Given the amount of press coverage, one might be forgiven for thinking that once we solve the "problem" of gay people (whatever the "solution" might entail) there will be peace and prosperity all over the world, immediately and irrevocably!

This is my favourite take on the subject, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hyT7_Bx9o

Original Post Deleted
    It's safe to say those "parents and pressure groups" and the government are one and the same if you look at what hateful speech Carrie Lam, and DAB among others are spewing about LGBT issues.
    TheBrit, angeluscomplex and spode like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Just curious, and I will admit to being a little rhetorical with my question, but, what is the view in Japan about this subject?
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

This question is directed at parents with young (5~10yo) kids that the books are meant for.
    Would you actively find a book that relates LGBT family relationship to your kids ? and ended up getting them confuse of what marriages are all about ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    This question is directed at parents with young (5~10yo) kids that the books are meant for.
    Would you actively find a book that relates LGBT family relationship to your kids ? and ended up getting them confuse of what marriages are all about ?
    I remember my son watching an episode of 'Modern Family' with us (not sure how old he was... but quite young) and giggling when he found out that one of the kids had two dads. No big deal.. he was amused thats all.
    spode likes this.

When my daughter was little, certain books were kind of kept in the "parenting section" of the children's room as in, for example, all the books that were pretty explicit about sex and reproduction, books about explaining death to children, etc. I am guessing that the books shown in the article would be in that section as well. I think this is a good approach because a lot of these types of books are meant for parents to read with their children and discuss the issues.

That said, the library did not exclude young readers from perusing said "parent ing section" as I found out when my 5-year old explained to me about sex and reproduction rather accurately. I asked where she learned about it and showed me the books... guess I should have been watching more closely, honestly I had probably gone to the adult section to find books for me...bad parent that I was...

She knew gay people starting from a pretty young age so I don't remember having to explain it to her- so I never sought out books explaining LGBT issues.

TheBrit, shri and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I wouldn't mind at all, good for them to be exposed to variety. Marriage should be about love so I don't see the confusion.
    Fiona in HKG and spode like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast