Like Tree135Likes

Children’s books with LGBTQ themes disappear from shelves at Hong Kong libraries

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Children’s books with LGBTQ themes disappear from shelves at Hong Kong libraries

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/06/2...nti-gay-group/

Oh dear. Perhaps Taipai should get the mantle of Asia's World City as Hong Kong under Carrie Lam clearly does not want it

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/06/2...nti-gay-group/

Oh dear. Perhaps Taipai should get the mantle of Asia's World City as Hong Kong under Carrie Lam clearly does not want it
    I'm in two minds about this one. On one hand, if the books aren't popular and most people don't like them, they should be in 'closed stacks'... On the other hand, I've noticed that management in Hong Kong tends to respond to whichever minority complains the loudest, even on web forums.
    orel100x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    I'm in two minds about this one. On one hand, if the books aren't popular and most people don't like them, they should be in 'closed stacks'...
    It would appear they have not been put in 'closed stacks' because they are not popular. They have been taken off the general shelves because a group of people feel it is immoral for a book to portray (not promote) same sex parenting as a danger to the minds of children.

When Hong Kong is behind catholic Philippines you know HK has a problem

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8f1fce2a085d

shri, Bob Loblaw and drumbrake like this.

It would appear they have not been put in 'closed stacks' because they are not popular. They have been taken off the general shelves because a group of people feel it is immoral for a book to portray (not promote) same sex parenting as a danger to the minds of children.
    As I said, a loud minority... that said, where is the evidence? I think it's probably true, but generally speaking I don't trust the HKFP to be unbiased when it come to this type of story...
    kimwy66 likes this.

As I said, a loud minority... that said, where is the evidence? I think it's probably true, but generally speaking I don't trust the HKFP to be unbiased when it come to this type of story...
    They article seems well referenced citing government notices and pronouncements from homophobic groups about their successful lobbying

They article seems well referenced citing government notices and pronouncements from homophobic groups about their successful lobbying
    Like I said, probably. On the other hand, I bet most parents in Hong Kong would prefer that these books are in 'closed stacks'... they haven't been banned.

I went out to Festival Walk's Bookazine today and bought this. It's not in HKPL.

https://cdn2.penguin.com.au/covers/4...0963270702.jpg

Original Post Deleted
    I would argue it is not about the number of times it is borrowed but the unnecessary segregation of a minority. If Marvin and Mohammed are co-dads of Mary, only that their names are alliterate should be important not they shouldn't be portrayed as so 'odd' that a parent or guardian is needed to be present before a kid and see if their names rhyme. Hardly good for building a society that is 'normal' by modern city standards.
    spode likes this.

generally speaking I don't trust the HKFP to be unbiased when it come to this type of story...
    Do you trust the SCMP more?

And Tango Makes Three among 10 children’s books with same-sex themes taken off the shelves in public libraries by Hong Kong government | South China Morning Post

or RTHK?

LGBT group blasts 'appalling' library book purge - RTHK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast