Like Tree101Likes

Students from ethnic minority backgrounds are being left behind when it comes to learning Chinese

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Yes I completely agree with you. This is how it should work. My point was how can anyone expect ethnic minorities to just pick up Canto. When Chinese go abroad to countries with much easier languages to learn, they struggle. If not for governments investing in education, their kids wouldn’t have a chance at medical school either.
    ack! my apologies, I'd read your earlier post as much more nativist... my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Having read the article again on the SCMP. I think most of the questions raised here are quite irrelevant.

The student in question

- Middle class and educated family
    - Did very well in his exams, except for Chinese, for which he sat an alternative exam.
    - He seems to be accomplished in programming and has some interesting thoughts on AI etc and is working on an independent project and has a seriously good attitude about it.
    - Has been specifically told that his Chinese skills will limit him, regardless of his intellect
    - Might end up in investment banking which I think will serve him and his family far better than medicine. Seriously.
    - He can sponsor a few kids to go into medicine once he makes his millions.

Best wishes to him! He'll do well regardless of being made the public figure of Unison's annual campaign when results are released.
    Thanks for the summary.

If I were the dean of the medical school, I would be very weary of granting anyone an exception to an established requirement. Even if the student's circumstance justifies it, for every exception granted, there will likely be 10 more students with similar backgrounds knocking on the door asking for the same exception.

And in the article CUHK explained that they want people that can communicate with Cantonese speaking patients because "Hong Kong is a global city". A sentiment that I agree with.

I feel that Siddhartha from the article is fairly motivated and knows what his strengths are. He will do fine even if he couldn't go to medical school.

To be fair, even local students seem to be complaining about the "3" requirement in Chinese and English.

Currently, students are required to score at least level 3 in Chinese and English, and level 2 in Maths and Liberal Studies to secure a university place.

The association's executive secretary Michael Wong says language requirements should be more flexible: "There are students who have flying colours in other subjects but they fail to achieve grade 3 for English and especially for Chinese and they got rejected by the university."
    'University language requirements too strict' - RTHK
    gataloca and Jaz Paul like this.

To be fair, even local students seem to be complaining about the "3" requirement in Chinese and English.

'University language requirements too strict' - RTHK
    I was gonna say the same...reading geoexpat while holidaying in Taiwan

Don't worry the DAB have a solution

Junius Ho say's poor people who can't speak chinese can become domestic helpers

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...10000-domestic

Is this better than saying people should be killed for talking about indepence?

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    If you're hungry enough, you'll learn it... the end.
    I agree.

Those 3 year olds falling behind because there home language isn't chinese or even english should get off their ass and set up a www,gofundme,com campaign to divorce their parents and get adopted by a nice middle class cantonese speaking family.
    shri, TheBrit, rs4 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I agree.

Those 3 year olds falling behind because there home language isn't chinese or even english should get off their ass and set up a www,gofundme,com campaign to divorce their parents and get adopted by a nice middle class cantonese speaking family.
    Don't be stupid. It's the parent's fault. What kind of nanny state do you want?

But bridges and museums are ok? Fair enough.
    When the forum owner joins in with the strawmen. I work in local schools.. there is no more to bloody give. 33 kids in class, 5 or 6 SEN kids hopping up and down already consuming 75% of teacher contact time?

Let NGOs sort it... and, put it back on the parents...

Original Post Deleted
    How the actual fuck can that be MY xenophobia... Please explain that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    When the forum owner joins in with the strawmen. I work in local schools.. there is no more to bloody give. 33 kids in class, 5 or 6 SEN kids hopping up and down already consuming 75% of teacher contact time?

Let NGOs sort it... and, put it back on the parents...
    The government has $500m waiting to be spent on supporting these kids. It just hasn't bothered.

What type of nanny state.

One where the ability or skills of your parents does not completely determine your life.

It makes sense for the state to invest in Chinese as a foreign language instruction to break the cycle of poverty and get people paying more tax.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast