Like Tree4Likes

Any International School / Local School in Hong Kong recommendation for average students

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any International School / Local School in Hong Kong recommendation for average students

As most of you know about the education system in Hong Kong.

The type of middle school system is categorized into four main categories.

1. Local School with government subsidised.
    2. Local School with direct fund from Government.
    3. Private School.
    4. Fully Government Funded public school.

I would like to know any these kinds of middle school in Hong Kong offer a happy learning environment which nourishes your self-learning ability with a considerable amount of international exposure ( Multiple cultures), with fairly good academic learning environment?

The current local school has so many homework, copying, writing, quizzes, exams which create stress both for parents and student and discourage your interest of learning.

Thank you for your help.

Of course international school. Not much homework.

DSS or private/international.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Of course international school. Not much homework.
    Gross generalisation.
    There are definitely some local schools which expect a lot less homework (or "optional" after school classes/ activities) than some of the international schools.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Thanks! Any school are recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by icemanlive:
    Thanks! Any school are recommend ?
    You need to be a lot more specific with your requirements if you want meaningful answers. Location, curriculum, costs would be a very basic start.
    Last edited by jgl; 23-10-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Top 4 questions

- Any special needs
    - Medium of instruction
    - Budget limitations

I think the biggest question is what is your budget? There are plenty of schools in HK that meet your requirements but you will get sticker shock if your kid is in a local school right now.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

I would start with the question "what school can I actually get into". Because just because a school exists and you like it, does NOT mean you can get a place there. Debentures, family at the school, location... all play a role.

I wouldn't recommend local schools at all. Unless your child is rooting for universities abroad, or is a fluent Chinese speaker, the DSE curriculum is harsh (and even harsher when aiming for Unis in HK). Most Universities in HK has a Chinese DSE requirement, and if you don't meet it, it will be harder to get admitted by them even if your other subjects have excellent grades.

I would recommend any ESF school for the reason that they have an IB curriculum. Not sure about IB in detail (as i completed A levels instead), but i know that unis in HK only expect the english and second language of non-jupas students (anyone who dosesn't do DSE applies to uni as non-jupas) to have a pass (unless of course if you wanted to major in english lit, or other majors related to languages).

If you wanted an A level curriculum (as an alternative to IB), then YMCA is the only viable option i can think of. This curriculum is rare in hong kong now. I know another school where i graduated with 3 A's and ended up going to HK University of Science and Technology, but it is not a worthy school in my opinion and its called : Saint Too Sear Rogers International School. It's a happy environment here, but boring... the school lacks enriching activities and are limited in A level electives.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast