Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Classes for 5 year old during morning or afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2
    Thanks @MABinPengChau! Youre right and I did look into it but half day is so expensive. I would feel like Im being taken advantage of and if it were half the price I would definitely go for it. All 5 year olds should be doing something with other kids, thats how they learn.
    Yes, the fees are crazy!! And it's so hard to get into places where the fees are reasonable, just watching my local HK coworker do it right now. He is paying a more expensive place for his 2-year old now to get credentials to transfer to a better school next year (crazy you have to plan that far out- and they interview HIM as much as his daughter!). But only the crazy-expensive places have spaces at this late date (because your son was not on a list since birth...sarcasm).

So I guess between signing up for art, sports, maybe a class at a tutoring center for reading skills, you will have to cobble it together yourself which is really sad in a such a wealthy city (where there should just be FREE public kindergarten for all 5-year-olds).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    So I guess between signing up for art, sports, maybe a class at a tutoring center for reading skills, you will have to cobble it together yourself which is really sad in a such a wealthy city (where there should just be FREE public kindergarten for all 5-year-olds).

Good luck!
    The problem is that this comes out to be almost the price of a kindergarten - with the added stress of shorter classes 1-2 hours meaning lots of to and fro. Most classes on HK I've seen for that age are $250-400 for 1 hour. If you do something daily that's getting to $6k a month.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    The problem is that this comes out to be almost the price of a kindergarten - with the added stress of shorter classes 1-2 hours meaning lots of to and fro. Most classes on HK I've seen for that age are $250-400 for 1 hour. If you do something daily that's getting to $6k a month.

Yes, that's crazy too and then the cost of transport to all those places! Like I said, should be free education for AT LEAST 5 year olds if not also 4 year olds (NYC I think just started free pre-kindergarten to all 4-year olds). The studies are SO clear on the benefits of early education, especially for poorer children or children who do not speak whatever the dominant language is in that country).

But getting into a kindergarten in January?? Would seem a near-impossible task from all that I have heard (unless maybe you can be on a wait-list and some expat pulls out mid-year).

My daughter was born in 1989, the time of the echo-baby-boom in the US and I had such a hard time finding places in pre-school and (private) kindergarten (private because I wanted full-day kindergarten and public had only half-day at the time). So I truly feel for anyone seeking schooling for their child and getting rejected because they didn't apply 4 years in advance or go to the earlier years of preschool (that is what happened to me at a few schools where my daughter didn't do pre-K so there were no openings at the K level).

Edit: Such sticker shock for me. Cost of kindergarten at a Catholic school in 1994 northern NJ, USA: $1700/year US dollars. Full day, no extra fees. Down the block, walked to school. Still lucky to get her in. Preschool/daycare had been about $550 per month before that...
    Last edited by MABinPengChau; 02-11-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    merchantms and librarygirl2 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2