Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ermen
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 1 Post By ajohnso2
  • 4 Post By civil_servant
  • 1 Post By hullexile

English proficiency index

English proficiency index

The latest EF index is out and Hong Kong continues to lag a long way behind Singapore for English proficiency. Is this accurate and if so why?

https://www.ef.com/epi/regions/asia/

1. Emphasis by the education system (transition to Mandarin proficiency)
    2. day to day living reality - i.e. English not really needed for the vast majority of people

though I must say the civil service / senior leaders seem relatively impressive. they can answer questions in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.

MABinPengChau likes this.

In my opinion, Singapore is a more diverse country than HK because of the large proportion of Malay and Indian and even the chinese population isn't all from a single group like HK. Their direct neighbor is also different than HK and it's more convenient to have English as a common language. In HK, the vast majority of the population is cantonese, the neighboring province has a very large proportion of cantonese speaker and they can read the language of their immediate neighbor and understand each other reasonably easily even if they don't speak fluently in each other's language. There isn't much incentive nor use for lower level employees or those that are not educated to be proficient in English in HK, it's more useful and easier for them to speak mandarin if they are to devote any effort in learning a language.

Doesn't Singapore use English more in schools? Or are they self-selected by language? Not sure if they teach in other languages or you just learn that other language if you go to a school that teaches Chinese, etc.

Interesting that Sweden is Number 1. My sister teaches English to refugees in Sweden-I was curious as to why they wanted to learn English over Swedish, guess this is my answer.

Happy Guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    The latest EF index is out and Hong Kong continues to lag a long way behind Singapore for English proficiency. Is this accurate and if so why?

https://www.ef.com/epi/regions/asia/
    Singlish Proficiency Lah!
    CL lol likes this.

English is the common language in multicultural Singapore. It serves a purpose in the local context.

Hong Kong on the other hand is a lot more mono-cultural. English doesn't really serve a role here beyond business purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    English is the common language in multicultural Singapore. It serves a purpose in the local context.

Hong Kong on the other hand is a lot more mono-cultural. English doesn't really serve a role here beyond business purposes.
    Yes which is reinforced if you look at the top three in Asia: Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia. All have different cultural and language groups so English has a unifying role. Not the case as you say in HK.
    shri likes this.