Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Need Help!!! for Local Secondary School

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into this school... thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    The band 1 schools will be very competitive to get into.

Where abouts do you live?
    I live in ap lei chau, southern of Hongkong Island

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon
    Just remember that you have to live in the catchment area of the school and that placement is not guaranteed. We considered local before realizing that you don't get placed until the summer of the year that your child starts. Too tight for us... But good luck to you. I hope your money situation improves.
    Yeah, Cross fingers....
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Take a look here. Not Band 1, but will have space for the kid(s).

Transport should be ok - Ap Lei Chau to Queen Mary (not sure which bus.)... and a few mins walk from QM to the school.

Caritas Wu Cheng-chung Secondary School

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by rani

Thanks for you for your suggestion. I will call up the school...

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    have you been here
    https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/student-pa...nts/index.html

technically all government school must teach in traditional chinese. you are only left with the private, independent, and international schools that may use simplified chinese. which are about the same in tuition as singapore.

i believe all the Po Leung Kok independent schools uses traditional chinese.
    Thanks noted that. I will Take alook on the website....

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    There is an affordable international school in Tung chung about 45k per year. YMCA College. Teaches Mandarin but maybe your son is more advanced. Worth a look even if it's a bit far of a commute.
    Was a good school many years ago. Now essentially a simulacrum of High School Musical. Ruined by a now-dead egotist principal first, now run to appear as “International“ as possible. Many weak teachers, heavy bias towards those who select the GCSE course. They should lose their subvention but they feign devotion to a currently-accepted sky fairy, so they're free to continue fucking up children's education in the name of the Virgin Mary. A very good thing spoiled by time in the soup. Avoid.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by juanalias
    Was a good school many years ago. Now essentially a simulacrum of High School Musical. Ruined by a now-dead egotist principal first, now run to appear as “International“ as possible. Many weak teachers, heavy bias towards those who select the GCSE course. They should lose their subvention but they feign devotion to a currently-accepted sky fairy, so they're free to continue fucking up children's education in the name of the Virgin Mary. A very good thing spoiled by time in the soup. Avoid.
    oh... is this your personal experience?

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Take a look here. Not Band 1, but will have space for the kid(s).

Transport should be ok - Ap Lei Chau to Queen Mary (not sure which bus.)... and a few mins walk from QM to the school.

Caritas Wu Cheng-chung Secondary School
    Thanks alot I will Take a look on the school... do you have any experience with this school?

Quote Originally Posted by NatMarc
    oh... is this your personal experience?
    Yes. I put three kids through there, over about ten years. Not once did they miss an opportunity to make the wrong decision, about anything that affected my kids. My youngest stayed on to avoid upheaval. It's not the worst school in Hong Kong, and we chose it as the best of a bad bunch. If your child is the smile-and-take-it type, and you are, it could be ok for you. And it's not Mother Mary they fawn over - they are the happy-clappy ,hands in the air, feel His presence variety. The ex-principal used to make the kids listen to him play one-man-band Christian rock originals. And he tried to flog his CDs at school events. He's out of the picture now, but that may give you an idea of school culture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast