Like Tree4Likes

Need Help!!! for Local Secondary School

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Need Help!!! for Local Secondary School

I am now currently having a dilemma.

Currently my son is in year 6 at Singapore International School. He is taught Simplified chinese and the school’s vision is to have Chinese as 1st language.

However, because of financial situations, we need to get him into more affordable Secondary school
    which means International school is out of the option.

My biggest worry for my son is his chinese subject if he were to go to local school here in Hongkong (as we are actually a non chinese speaking family) he might struggle. May I know whether the chinese in schools will be taught in Cantonese?

Any insights of Chinese subjects of the local schools esp
    DBS, St Paul CoEd/college, King’s College, Queen’s college, Wah Yan College, St Stephen college.

I Am looking forward to the insights from very resourceful souls here…

Thanks a lot in advanced

PS: Open House and School Talks had been missed most of them

Most local schools teach Chinese in Cantonese with some teach in Mandarin leading upto HKDSE. HK Exam Board allows simplified Chinese or a mixture of simplified and traditional chinese when the students write.Oral exam including presentation or discussion of topics can be in Mandarin when the student take HKDSE. But exam papers and instructions are in printed traditional chinese. Never saw books for the local Chinese courses in simplified Chinese.

The famous schools you mentioned should be teaching in mostly Cantonese . Chinese teachers and fellow students should speak enough Mandarin so your son will not have problems talking with them.

HK students learn difficult Chinese including classical Chinese texts from Secondary 1. They normally also have compulsory Chinese History courses taught in Chinese from Form 1 to Form 3.

If you do IB or other countries' Chinese, will be in simplified and Mandarin. But these overseas courses are not subsidised by HK gov.

Last edited by lighthse003; 19-11-2018 at 07:33 PM.

There is an affordable international school in Tung chung about 45k per year. YMCA College. Teaches Mandarin but maybe your son is more advanced. Worth a look even if it's a bit far of a commute.

What about HKUGA College? It's near SIS in Aberdeen and it's EMI.

The band 1 schools will be very competitive to get into.

Where abouts do you live?

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Just remember that you have to live in the catchment area of the school and that placement is not guaranteed. We considered local before realizing that you don't get placed until the summer of the year that your child starts. Too tight for us... But good luck to you. I hope your money situation improves.

There's also Rosary hill

Rosaryhill School - Secondary Section

Thanks alot for your comprehensive reply... Ithelps me alot....
    I also heard that some of the school offer stream for non hongkongers or something?

Yes, i heard about this school as well. Thanks for your suggestion....

have you been here
    https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/student-pa...nts/index.html

technically all government school must teach in traditional chinese. you are only left with the private, independent, and international schools that may use simplified chinese. which are about the same in tuition as singapore.

i believe all the Po Leung Kok independent schools uses traditional chinese.

Last edited by dumbdonkey; 20-11-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast