Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By merchantms
  • 2 Post By merchantms

International School Recommendation for New Terrortories

International School Recommendation for New Terrortories

Hi All

My son is currently in his 4th year at a local primary school. Whilst they have 1-2 hours of English lessons everyday, his English is still quite poor, so I want to change him to an International School at end of his 5th year.

By only switching him at end of primary 5, it means that I can ensure his written and reading Cantonese is of a decent level, and it still allows him time to improve his english for 1 year, before he starts secondary school.

Can anyone recommend a good international school. My criteria is that:
    1) Located in New Terrortories
    2) High level of English
    3) Good level of regular spoken Mandarin classes
    4) Choice of A-Levels or SATs
    5) High rate of exams passes

I know I sound picky, so any recommendation is appreciated.

Regards

Where exactly - or at least approximately - in the New Territories?

Even assuming he passes the entrance exams AND there is space available AND you have the money to spare for debentures as well as school fees and incidental expenses, it would be a bit silly for us to suggest Harrow is you are in Sai Kung or Nord Anglia if you live in Yuen Long. Not that I have any idea of either of their Mandarin programmes.

Mrs. Jones and hullexile like this.

And budget? I would suggest Harrow or Nord Anglia but none of these schools will have particularly strong Mandarin programs, if at all. The only true international bilingual schools in Hong Kong are Yew Cheung, Chinese International School or ISF. Your best options for a spot are at YCIS but be prepared to pay $$$.

Thanks... I like in the Shatin area, so would have been looking for a primary/secondary international school near there. I completely neglected the entrance exams, so you’ve given me further school for thought.

Thanks... in your opinion, is ISF or YCIS better overall?

No clue on its Mandarin program but Malvern is new and in Tai Po.

Quote Originally Posted by GooBee
    Thanks... in your opinion, is ISF or YCIS better overall?
    ISF is very difficult to enter especially at a random intake year. Can you afford a debenture?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GooBee
    Thanks... I like in the Shatin area, so would have been looking for a primary/secondary international school near there. I completely neglected the entrance exams, so you’ve given me further school for thought.
    I'll also add that if your son's English is poor you might need to put him into a school that has EAL support. I went to talk from Stamford American in Kowloon and they have this. It's new so might be easier to enter also.

There is a perception that because local schools are more competitive, that you can easily switch into international school which is just a bunch of foreign kids playing. That's not the case. I know someone who was surprised that her child who is in a well regarded local primary didn't have his choice of offers from international schools. They found a place but not at the "name brand" schools. The system is different and a child who thrives in one may genuinely struggle in the other.
    jgl and chingleutsch like this.