Like Tree13Likes

Higher Education in Canada

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    @MABinPengChau there do seem to be a lot of Australian-educated doctors in Hong Kong though. So maybe for medical school HK students do consider it seriously.
    Yes, for medical school and maybe other grad school. I understand medical school is quite difficult to get into in HK (same reason that US students go abroad to medical school).

But it seems that the "name brand" issue isn't as much of a factor for medical school (not so many unemployed doctors out there)...

Well, as for why HK families choose CA over AU, the closest major CA city has a larger Chinese population than the closest AU city I believe. Probably the likelihood of having some relative/family friend, that their child can call on in times of trouble in CA is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao C Chung:
    To be fair and be honest though have you really been paying attention to these indicators?

As a start you could look at OECD education figures on Canada versus UK and US. I have looked at them but I'm not about to quote them here as I am not writing a paper here. Then look at other indicators such as the world's most affordable major cities which I believe UBS has done a 2018 study. Also safety indicators like crime rates of major cities including Canadian ones and US UK ones. There are also rankings for Most Livable Cities and Student Friendly Cities. Cost indexes are unnecessary as you could easily look at university websites but then again I don't it's hard to imagine that Canadian schools are in general cheaper than US schools. Then of course you have the global university rankings but that in fact would be the last thing I'd look at.

I'm probably more aware of education in Canada than most parents in HK, having lived and studied there. Still, when my kids reach university age, there is nothing that would influence me towards encouraging them to study there though.There are other countries that I would prioritise, for regions of family background or access to job markets.

So perhaps the facts and figures for myself and other HK parents are... largely academic. Certainly, 'livability' and 'student friendly' sound particularly newspapery. Crime rates, well I wouldn't be sending my kids to study in downtown Detroit if the US was being considered.
    Last edited by jgl; 18-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Edit: @shri, "username" is an actual user?!
    I guess so... learn something new every day.

Well, your kids sure are lucky then @jgl, since cost is not a factor for your family! For my personal situation, I can't ignore the fact that tuition is currently 1/7th the cost for Canadian residents as compared to International Students (I can only imagine the cost for International Students @UK/US schools are even more than that).

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I guess so... learn something new every day.
    And their password is 12345

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFan:
    Well, your kids sure are lucky then @jgl, since cost is not a factor for your family! For my personal situation, I can't ignore the fact that tuition is currently 1/7th the cost for Canadian residents as compared to International Students (I can only imagine the cost for International Students @UK/US schools are even more than that).
    Cost is such an obvious factor that it doesn't really need mentioning

But the original thrust of the thread wasn't "why aren't people sending their kids to Canadian universities, they are so cheap!"
    ChuckFan and eIIe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    http://cdnis.edu.hk/sites/default/fi...f%202018_2.pdf

Canadian International School. 1/3 of the students end up in Canada for university. I would say they are going to be the most informed cohort of students and families in HK on this topic and still the majority choose elsewhere. So really I don't think you can just say it's ignorance. For some reason the majority choose to go elsewhere, that's a perfectly valid choice.

When I was in graduate school there were a number of students from Canada who would act outraged that non-Canadians had never heard of their undergraduate university. They were actually shocked that we didn't know what Queen's or Western was. It's not an attack on your country (assuming you're Canadian) but your universities just don't have that brand name.
    Question is whether parents and students from schools that aren't "Canadian" would feel that way. Of course CDNIS kids and parents wouldn't be ignorant about Canadian schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao C Chung:
    Question is whether parents and students from schools that aren't "Canadian" would feel that way. Of course CDNIS kids and parents wouldn't be ignorant about Canadian schools.
    So what do you think is the reason that only 33% of graduates from a Canadian school choose Canadian universities? It's not ignorance, as you assume is the case for other HK families.

American and British degrees have more utility. They are more internationally recognized and in circles that value degrees from certain schools, they value American and British degrees. Easier for such degree holders to get higher paying jobs out of undergrad, although also more volatile as the costs are high and not everyone gets those high paying jobs so economically the degree can be highly costly for the parents.

That said, I think that the cost aspect of the degree isn't as important of a factor given that raising children in HK is already expensive so undergrad degrees might not make up the bulk of child care expenses. In HK I've met many graduates of Southern California, a school I'd never heard of until I moved to HK. Even after working for 10 years, none have earned back the cost of their degrees and I doubt their parents care.

So when they do the cost benefit analysis, there's more value put on the potential benefits of the degree vs the cost. So I think it makes sense that American and British degrees are favored - they've got the highest potential economic upside.

On the flip side, my cousin bought an apartment in Vancouver for his daughter so that when she's eligible for high school he'll ship her over to Canada (with her mom). We have a large family and he's hoping my cousins will toughen her up. I doubt many parents have a similar mindset. He doesn't think she'll be economically successful regardless of what school she attends.