Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Delia School of Canada - secondary school, Tai Koo Shing campus

Quote Originally Posted by karminglai
    We're in mid-levels and unfortunately won't be able to do Disco Bay or other ESF as they said they will not accept application for level 11 and 13 (which is the equivalent) of correct school level for her. Anyone have any other suggestions for english IB in HK, preferably on HK island?
    Y11 is GCSE year. Kids will be sitting their exams in May/June. The only way to get a place is repeat Y10. Or to enrol in one of the tutoring centres and do the GCSE's privately and start Y12 in August.

Speak to the folks at ITS http://www.itseducation.asia/GCSE.htm
    kimwy66 likes this.

Year 11 is a terrible year to be moving schools under the UK system as most GCSE courses are taught across 2 years and this is the second year. Even if there was an available place in a school, the odds of them following the same course content that she has covered in Year 10 is not great given the various different exam boards and choice of set texts etc.

If I had a child in that situation, I would personally leave them at their current school for Year 11 if I could possibly do so. When I was 15, the father of one of my friends had to relocate just as she was about to start Year 11 and she lodged with one of our maths teachers during term time to avoid disruption.

jgl and shri like this.

Thanks for all your feedback. Lots to think about! Daughter actually just started (in Sept 2018) first year of two year A levels. Next school year ( Sept 2019 - June 2020) should be her last year of A Levels. Much appreciated for all the responses!

ESF was the top choice for British expats in the past, including children of the governors of HK. They have switched to IB.

Esf was the Only choice. So many alumns (me included) hv put our kids in other schools.

yes.and now some local schools have IB as an alternative to HKDSE . With the students studying local primary and junior secondary courses and IB in senior secondary.

If kids will study anywhere except the UK, it's an advantage to have the IB diploma. In the UK, it's easier to have A levels. ESF simply reacted to the changing economic reality that increasingly its student were not only going to the UK but also to other countries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2