where to learn read and write chinese ???

Closed Thread

where to learn read and write chinese ???

hi, im used to study in canada and now im back to hong kong for about 2 years but i can speak cantonese and i just want to ask is there any places that can learn how to read and write chinese.

Thanks

Years ago, while brushing up on my Canto at the YMCA (TST, off Middle Rd), I also decided to learn some reading and writing Chinese (trad.), coz a bit more motivated as I'd moved on with like-minded classmates from same speaking courses.

You're probably very advanced, unlike me - my family dialect isn't Canto and I'm "bbc". If not, you could try the Y; they have a Spring semester coming up - google online, call and ask.

If hardcore serious, I've heard great things about the Chinese language "cert" programmes at HKU and CUHK; both of which are highly structured, kinda academic and require more than just a few months' attendance and casual study to complete.

And don't forget: self-study AND keeping an alert interest to the differences between formal written and conversational lingo helps

if you speak Cantonese then you might not have to take classes. Imho learning to read and write characters is something that requires just dull practise, I do so every night, helps me fall asleep. CUHK has (at least) three "Character Reader in Cantonese Pronounciation" published, just go to the General Office of the language institute (walk 100m straight uphill from the University KCR station) and say you are a student and want to buy the book. ~100-150 $ for the book, the stroke-by-stroke instruction leaflet, exercise book and some etymology. I started learning because I never got the meaning of the words in my spoken canto class, it gets much easier if you know the characters. If I were you, I'd just go through the first three books and then join a class to learn how to make proper statements (the grammar can be confusing if your first language is English, but then yours maybe isn't...).

If you're native Canto speaker you might as well just buy the primary school text books. They're fun, although they teach you lots of words but only very simple statements in the first book.

If you're disciplined, you'll have no trouble learning on your own by buying some textbooks. However, not everyone has the discipline to consistantly study, especially when they have a busy schedule.

I suggest buying a textbook that you find easy to understand and follow. There are numerous options in bookstores. Try learning with that for a month and see whether it is effective. If it isn't there are a number of different language centres that offer such courses. Where? I don't have any recommendations. Just do a general search online or check HK Magazine or the SCMP.