What is the language of instruction at Baptist University?

Closed Thread

What is the language of instruction at Baptist University?

I'm about to apply to an undergraduate program and will transferring from Canada. I do have a few questions however, as I've noticed some programs on offer state a specific requirement, most specifically, "Chin Lang cannot be substituted."

Does this mean that I would need to be proficient in Cantonese? I was always under the impression that all universities in Hong Kong instructed in English and that all papers, etc. were also to be written in English as well.

Looking for some guidance.

Regards,
    Danny

No - see Q3 on their FAQ. Some courses are clearly in Cantonese.

My impression is that HKU and HKUST are the only places where a non-Chinese speaker has much chance of fitting in properly.

HKU and HKUST are probably the best places for non-Chinese speakers. Both unis have many exchange and permanent international students. Even though they are supposed to use English, some tutors use Cantonese unless someone asks them to use English.

My guess is that other universities might be like HKU and HKUST or just have fewer courses available for non-Cantonese speakers. I know that exchange students in CUHK, at least a few years back, had a limited selection of courses conducted in English.

Check their International Office website (HKBU International). It will have some useful information, such as the courses available in to "Exchange/Visiting International students" (List of Subjects offered to Exchange/International Visiting Students for Semester 1, 2004-2005 (Tentative)). If they don't have enough courses with English as the MOI, they would probably let you take these courses. Why don't you ask them directly?