Like Tree18Likes

Learning Chinese Dialects

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I took Shanghainese course at City University few years ago. Not sure if they offer other Chinese dialect courses or not. I myself is a Chinese teacher (for Cantonese and Mandarin). I would like to compare other Chinese dialects with Cantonese and Mandarin. I found that some of the Shanghainese words are quite similar to Cantonese words. Hope you can locate the right teacher.

Original Post Deleted
    Apart from the fact that a lot of local parent consider PLAY to be a dirty word because it's not STUDY, I suspect that public housing has a lot to do with the plummeting use of dialects. There's no longer, for instance, the concentration of Chiu Chow speakers in Sai Ying Pun/ Kennedy Town that there was some decades ago - they are scattered all over, as are speakers of Hoklo, Taishanese and whatever else.

The introduction of compulsory education through the 1960s and '70s, also increasing affordability of TVs and later computers has also meant that not only have kids been able to use Cantonese as the lingua franca with each other. Also that they've been spared the effort of replying to grandma and grandpa in the dialect in which they spoke to the grandkids because at least the oldies can understand Canto even if they choose no to speak it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020march:
    Mandarin & Cantonese tuition for kids & adults whatsapp 9300 9104
    1.Practice Cantonese with a native Cantonese tutor at your preferred location in Hong Kong.
    2.Designed for non Cantonese speakers who want to learn it as their second language.
    3.Learn Cantonese with a tutor and language learning apps.
    Language learning apps : I can set up if you don't how to.It enables user to write in most worldwide languages.It lets you to write chinese on the screen,so you can listen and know the meaning of word.
    can you teach me hakka, kinda off rusty after 20 years of not speaking it