Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree9Likes

IELTS level 8, is it hard ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul
    Lastly, if you are aiming for 20 points, do check out PTE ,like I mentioned it in my earlier post.
    Yes I'm checking their website as I type this, thanks again.

To be honest, your concern is a bit far fetched given there are years to go before your kid could apply for residency.
    I understand this, but the prospects of getting a work visa in Australia may, and probably will, dictate where she would go to uni. I think it should. The deadlines for this are closer, the first one is 2 years from now when she will have to decide between HSC or IB (thankfully AISHK offers both so I don't have the worry of scrambling to change school at that time).
    I think I'll need to monitor this quite carefully as I don't see an easy way to hedge this risk.
    Elegiaque likes this.

*more free advice on aus immigration- applicants can claim 5 points by taking NAATI (something) test. It's a test of community languages, like Cantonese, mandarin, Hindi etc and as long as you have intermediate command over any of these languages, cracking this exam isn't really hard. The demand for these tests is high and are only conducted in Australia!
    Ha I was wondering what this NAATI thing was.
    Ok so potentially there could be 5 more points there as well (in Mandarin in her case).
    Thanks for the extra free advice.
    Jaz Paul likes this.

Just to mention here that she would need a successful Skills Assessment in order to apply for PR through the points tested route. Each occupation has a set skills assessment authority, and these all have their own specific requirements.

Also, as mentioned above, immigration in Australia are moving goalposts. Things change all the time and usually without a lot of warning. I would not start looking into this until closer to when she is actually finishing high school.

Also, take a look at NZ. It is not as popular as Australia, so study can be cheaper and less competition for immigration. Also, once she gets a NZ passport, she can live and work in Australia.

I got this band score without any preparation as a local student

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ
    Just to mention here that she would need a successful Skills Assessment in order to apply for PR through the points tested route. Each occupation has a set skills assessment authority, and these all have their own specific requirements.

Also, as mentioned above, immigration in Australia are moving goalposts. Things change all the time and usually without a lot of warning. I would not start looking into this until closer to when she is actually finishing high school.

Also, take a look at NZ. It is not as popular as Australia, so study can be cheaper and less competition for immigration. Also, once she gets a NZ passport, she can live and work in Australia.
    nz permanent residency through skilled migration varies greatly from that of oz. For the former, There are no points for language ability but one needs either a job offer from an Nz firm or some work experience in the related field of study to even meet the minimum requirement. Let me breakdown it for you to the best of my memory:

Age: 20- 39 year old (30 points) these are the maximum in this category.
    Qualification : 50 (for bachelor degree/ post grad)
    10 on top is the qualification was obtained in Nz.
    Job offer : 50 points
    Exp: also varies

You need at least 100 points to apply for Nz permanent residency via skilled route so unless you have a job offer or some exp under your belt post study, you can't even apply. I've seen many struggle in finding relevant jobs. Some take drastic measures like buying fake job offers and are enslaved, exploited by their so-called employers till their residency is approved, which can take up to 2 years or more for people will less exp. Hence, getting permanent residency in Aus is much faster and more doable in my knowledge.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfhk
    I got this band score without any preparation as a local student
    But you didn't get band 9. Getting 8-9 I think requires some idea of what is expected, unless you happen to be a Cambridge professor.

nz permanent residency through skilled migration varies greatly from that of oz. For the former, There are no points for language ability but one needs either a job offer from an Nz firm or some work experience in the related field of study to even meet the minimum requirement. Let me breakdown it for you to the best of my memory:

Age: 20- 39 year old (30 points) these are the maximum in this category.
    Qualification : 50 (for bachelor degree/ post grad)

10 on top is the qualification was obtained in Nz.
    Job offer : 50 points
    Exp: also varies

You need at least 100 points to apply for Nz permanent residency via skilled route so unless you have a job offer or some exp under your belt post study, you can't even apply. I've seen many struggle in finding relevant jobs. Some take drastic measures like buying fake job offers and are enslaved, exploited by their so-called employers till their residency is approved, which can take up to 2 years or more for people will less exp. Hence, getting permanent residency in Aus is much faster and more doable in my knowledge.
    The list of occupations is very limited in Australia and even if you have the minimum required points, doesn't mean you will receive an invitation to apply as it all depends on how many people applied for that occupation and what their scores us. Like I said, the demand is higher.

For NZ though, there is less competition. After she completes her studies, she can get a 3 year post-study visa with which she can work. This gives her 3 years to find an employer so she can get enough points to apply for skilled migration. It is 100 minimum points, but the different criteria carry more weight. She would get 30 points for being under 39, and then 50 points for having a NZ Bachelor degree. Then if she is employed or has a job offer, that would give her 50 points.

I have researched NZ for my cousin and we are going down that route.

@SannyJ, thanks for the input. Good idea, I'm going to put NZ in the list of things to research.
    Can I confirm:
    1) Australia's skilled jobs list currently has 479 jobs, is this approximately correct ? I understand that 200-300 have been removed in the past few years.
    2) Autralia has a 2-year temporary graduate visa, is this correct ?

Not saying there is a dearth of opportunities in Nz, but there must be a reason why over 650,000 Nz citizens live in Australia.

For a fresh graduate, which I assumed was the discussion about, it's much easier to get residency in Aus than in NZ. How do I know? Simply because I've been through both processes successfully.

And Why I'm living in hk is a completely different story.

For a fresh graduate, which I assumed was the discussion about
    Yes you're right. With a little luck she'll meet a good guy over there, marry and get PR, and all my worries will go away.
    And then ditch the focker LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4