Like Tree20Likes

Toddlers in Pre-Nursery only going a few days a week

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Toddlers in Pre-Nursery only going a few days a week

We got an acceptance to nursery school. It is half-day, afternoons (1pm-4pm). We have to cough up a debenture, etc a few days after we land. I think the nursery school looks pretty good, but it's kind of hard not actually seeing the facilities and the staff and the children at play.

Currently our son is only 2y,7 months old and we used to send him to daycare twice a week.

My wife is worried that he will be spending too much time out of home and thinks he's too young.

Do nursery schools care too much if you don't send your child everyday? Is there something that they are going to miss out on?

My wife and son are flying back home for a month during the Christmas break. Is that normally the 'done' thing in HK for nursery schools? I assume that primary school is mandatory and non-attendance marked off.

I don't mind the paid-for-and-not-used days. We have to pay in Australia, even if your kid is sick, on holidays, or the day that you normally go is a public holiday and the nursery is not open.

It's fine to take your two year old on holidays. Don't worry about it.

fletcher and Mrs. Jones like this.

I don't think 1-4 every day is too much for a nearly-3 year old. Unless that is normally nap time, which you would want to transition out of before starting... He may surprise you and WANT to go every day. I know that preschools here tend to be more academic than in the west- the Chinese-oriented ones start teaching Chinese characters at that age! My coworker's then 2-year old was doing that. So give the 5-day schedule a shot and see if he likes it- it's exciting to just be around so many other children his own age.

My son is a similar age and enjoys going to his classes, half-days. In fact he wants to go to the big school his sisters go to so he complains when they get dropped off before him in the morning.

I think mornings are much better than afternoons for school at that age. At least for my kids, they're much better at everything in the morning and tend to be tired mid-late afternoon....

jimbo_jones and Mrs. Jones like this.

Once you realize how small your flat is and how repetitive going to the same playroom and playground over and over again are, youll be very grateful for 3 hours daily at nursery.

Assuming its an international kindy it will be play based. My kid has enjoyed it a lot honestly.

Even local kindergartens five days a week are a load of fun for 3 year olds.

imparanoic and jimbo_jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Even local kindergartens five days a week are a load of fun for 3 year olds.
    It depends. Some are very fun, some already have the children doing writing practice and expecting them to sit still for extended periods.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones
    We got an acceptance to nursery school. It is half-day, afternoons (1pm-4pm). We have to cough up a debenture, etc a few days after we land. I think the nursery school looks pretty good, but it's kind of hard not actually seeing the facilities and the staff and the children at play.
    If you want to PM me the name of the kindy I can tell you if it has a nice reputation or not as my kids are similar age and we did the rounds to choose one.
    jimbo_jones likes this.

My son did the same last year @ 1-4PM and in a local school.
    It was the right decision, separation anxiety problem is solved in 1-2weeks and he enjoys it so much that gets bored when he is with us during the weekend.

You will also have a parents day where you will observe the activities in school so don't worry about it.

jimbo_jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    My son is a similar age and enjoys going to his classes, half-days. In fact he wants to go to the big school his sisters go to so he complains when they get dropped off before him in the morning.

I think mornings are much better than afternoons for school at that age. At least for my kids, they're much better at everything in the morning and tend to be tired mid-late afternoon....
    We put down afternoons as first choice, as he tends to sleep till 9am, then try to get something into him for breakfast, then drop him off by 10am, then I'm in the office by 10:30am. Some days I wouldn't get him to daycare until 11am. My wife would pick him up early at 3.30 or 4.00pm (after snack time) and bring him home, It was a 5 minute drive to daycare from home.

We were a bit worried about the afternoon nap. He is dropping off his naps. If he naps in the afternoon, then it's impossible to get him to bed and asleep before 10pm. If he misses his nap, we can get him asleep before 9pm and sometimes by 8pm.

I have a bit of flexibility in Australia, not sure if it's going to be same in HK.

I think we would like him to be able to speak Mandarin / putonghua and be able to recognize the Chinese alphabet. It would be big bonus if he could read/write putonghua and cantonese in another three years. We think he will be okay on English, but neither of us speak read/write Mandarin or Cantonese at home. We probably put him down for Australian International School in HK as plan-B.
    Last edited by jimbo_jones; 05-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast